Chapter 5: Induction

Streams of morning light poured through my window forcing me to retreat under the bed covers.

Unfortunately, breathing the warm, humid air made me feel claustrophobic. I sighed heavily trying to prolong the inevitable. I threw the covers of as my mind wondered back into its depressed state, the way it has been for the past day. Only this time it was worse, much worse because today it was induction day.

I could only imagine the horrors that awaited, not knowing what it was made me feel unstable.

Unwillingly, I found the strength to pull myself out of bed and change into the cold unforgiving clothes and pack my bag ready for the first miserable day at this place I’m forced to call ‘College’.

I grabbed my bag and dragged it across the floor not bothering to pick it up as I slugged to the across the room the dreaded door before me. Only then did I decide to pick up my bag and slowly open the door peering through into the hidden mysterious of what awaits. 

The loud silence resounded through the huge hallway. I took that as my queue to leave. I opened the door and walked out still cautious as to whether or not other people were here too. 

I pulled my bag to my shoulders and ran for the stairs. Literally taking the steps two at a time I made it to the bottom in no time. Unfortunately, my heart hammered against my chest and I had to walk slowly until it regained some form of steady rhythm. By this time I was near the doors which lead to the other world. Here I was hidden and protected but out there were all sorts of creatures with different powers looking down at me. 

I slid the gap open more still unwilling to delve further into this mysterious but alien world. The pep talk may have worked before but look where that had got me. I saw that horrendous scene before me. And there was nothing I could do about it. To them, it was normal but to me it was anything but.

Why couldn't I just be sat at home with my family and flirting with the people I like and telling secrets to my friends while listening to our favourite bands and rocking out in public laughing at the people who gave us funny looks? 

I thought of these memories to bring me outside into the open. Ignoring the crowds of people that glanced at me whilst I was in my happy place.

I sat down on an empty table and pulled out my timetable. I let the gentle breeze caress my skin as I forced the sheet back into my bag and walked to the room the timetable stated. 

I skulked around the building feeling like a vampire constantly hiding in the shadows. I remained like this until I came to the entrance. There were quite a lot of people here but they didn't really seem bothered by my presence. A few stared when they saw me and I heard a few of them whisper incoherently as I strolled past them, something like hey there's a new kid...

I chose to ignore them and move on with my business which leads me to two huge rounded double doors. Very old fashioned I might add. Somehow I got the feeling these people liked this old fashion taste to their buildings.

Nevertheless I stepped inside the open doors onto a polished mahogany floor. The base colour of the walls was a deep solid red but if you stood at a certain angle you could see that there were in fact different mixtures of the colour red entwined into one another to create an intricate design.

As I stepped further into the room I noticed the wall deep into the common room was entirely made of glass enhancing the brightness of the colours within the room. The room itself held nothing much of any value just a large portrait of the founder of the school and their family but I couldn’t get close enough to look at the painting in detail as there were too many people in the way. The room just looked like a large waiting area to hang around in before lesson started.