Intro: Orre

A/N: This story is based on kind of a compilation of "Broken Pieces" by Apocalyptica, "Take the Bullets Away" by We As Human, and "So I Thought" by Flyleaf.

Most people probably know this, but just in case, Orre is the region from the Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD games.

Spiritual themes are included, as usual. Not til towards the end though.

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon, the songs described, etc etc. No copyright infringement intended. You know the deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phenac City was a gorgeous gem of a town. It was one of the most peaceful places in all of Orre. Even with the Pokemon gym and the new contest hall among other tourist attractions, the city still had those calm, serene vibes that could make anyone feel at ease.

Drew and May arrived there together. This was their first time in the region. Over the years, they had traveled together on and off, occasionally going their own ways for a while, but always finding their way back to each other somehow. In the recent years, they had competed in the Grand Festivals in Johto, Sinnoh, Unova and Fiore. This was the start of a new journey after taking some time off.

Orre didn't have a Grand Festival, but rather simple, ongoing contests for casual coordinators who wanted to participate for the mere enjoyment of it. Drew and May figured it would be a good opportunity to get back into it, without getting too crazy. But truth be told, they were losing interest. Ever since their days in Fiore, the passion for coordinating had slowly begun to run dry. Perhaps it was their age. They were both 18 years old at this point. The thing that kept them going these days was their rivalry... and it gave them an excuse to be in each other's company.

"Well, Mr. Rose, are you ready to start training?"

"Hmph, is that a question?!" Drew replied with a flip of the hair.

There was a man jogging around the giant fountain in the middle of the town with his Castform. Drew interrupted his laps and challenged him, while May trained with an elder in the town who was always itching to battle with the youngsters. They were rusty in their battling from all that time off, but by the end of the day they felt confident enough to compete. There wasn't any real fierce competition anyways, since there was no Grand Festival. The pressure was off.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Contest day came, and the Phenac Stadium was packed. It was a fun event for the townspeople to attend, and the competitors were a lot more friendly and easygoing than what May and Drew had experienced in the recent past. No one was out for blood trying to win.

The appeals began. Drew scored a 28 with Masquerain. May got 27 with Blastoise. Six finalists battled it out in the next round, and those two faced off in the final battle.

May defeated Drew by a smidge, with her Blastoise mustering up the strength to perform one last body slam, crushing the poor winged Pokemon. May's victories over Drew were still uncommon occurrences, even after all of their travels over the years. But he was still proud of her whenever it happened. She was awarded $20 and 3 TMs. Orre contests gave out more practical prizes instead of ribbons.

For the next few days, May and Drew remained in Phenac City and just enjoyed the serene atmosphere. Every day around sunset, they'd go sit out by the waterfall and just talk. Drew's feelings for May were so beyond obvious to her at this point, as much as he believed he was concealing it all.

But it's been SO many years... when will he ever make a move?

The sun went down and the oasis was quiet, other than the sound of the waterfalls. They would be leaving in the morning. They thought they'd be spending this next year engaging in simple, friendly contests... but they had no idea what kinds of experiences were actually ahead of them.