A Thousand Shards of Glass

A/N: Viewer discretion is advised. This chapter contains some mature content and dark concepts, and is not really meant for young audiences. Nothing graphic of course, but still. TW: drugs, self-harm, alcoholism, abuse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guys were all sitting at the kitchen table when she walked in that morning.

"Hey babe, guess what? We got a gig!"

"No way! Where? When?!"

Aaron handed May a letter sent from the Krabby Club in Gateon Port, inviting them to perform at their venue. They were scheduled to play in two days.

"We'd better get going now," said Jim, the bassist. "Agate's close to Gateon, but we'll need to get situated and do sound check and all that."

"Hey May," Aaron said as he went to embrace her. "I'm really glad you'll be with us for our first real show."

He made her melt, every single day. They had been dating for a few weeks now but it felt like a lifetime. It was almost hard to remember life before this. They packed their things into Jim's van and headed to Gateon.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Drew was lounging by the harbor all morning. Gateon was the perfect little resort for a short vacation. Around noon, he called back his Masquerain and Butterfree, who were also enjoying the sun, and headed back to the Pokemon Center. On the way there, he saw a van drive by and park in front of the Krabby Club, and people started unloading equipment. That's when he recognized a familiar brunette.

May noticed her old rival in the distance, and nearly dropped the speakers as she ran over to him.

"Drew, hey! How have you been? What have you been up to since – wow, it's really been a long time, hasn't it?"

"Guess it has," he said with a smile and closing his eyes, refraining from a hair flip. He really did miss her.

"Whatever happened to you back in Pyrite? I turned my back for a minute, and then you were gone."

"I got invited to study botany at the Pokemon HQ lab. The leader of Pyrite was so impressed with my Roselia and my battling skills, that he insisted I enroll," he said haughtily. A hair flip was included this time.

May didn't even mind his pretentiousness. She was just happy to see him again.

"Well, what about you?" he asked. "I assume you've been competing all this time?"

"Actually no. I've been practicing to become a musician, and I've even joined a band!"

That came as a surprise to Drew. Of all things, he never would've guessed that.

May in a BAND? She's not the kind of person I can see doing something like that. But whatever. That's cool I guess.

"We're playing at the Krabby Club tomorrow night. If you're still in town, maybe you can come by?"

"Hmm. I'll have to check the calendar, but I suppose I can make an appearance," he said with another hair flip, throwing a rose at her.

"Hey May, be a little more careful with the speakers next time," Aaron said as he came up behind her. He put an arm around her and kissed her forehead. This threw Drew in for an even bigger shock.

"Um, Drew... this is Aaron, my boyfriend. Aaron, this is my old friend and rival, Drew."

"Good to meet you, man," Aaron said.