Chapter 1

Marcus Brown's point of view

I am still surviving. Yes, surviving. I had to struggle everyday to convince myself to stay alive or rather give myself a reason not to end my life, I had to do this every single day of my life. I hold Allyse responsible for the present condition of my existence. Allyse, my first and last, so called best friend. She is now registered as a devil in human form in my mind. She brought an end point to everything good in my life. I never understood why she did those things to me. The worst part is that she doesn't even feel guilty about it. Allyse's thought always pricked me hard. "Ouch" escaped my mouth as I felt something sting my hand. It was then I came to real world. I realized that I was sitting in the rose garden, in front of a rose plant, crushing a rose. I don't remember why did I pluck the rose or when. The most beautiful flower also has a thorn. It was the thorn that pricked me physically and Allyse's thought mentally. I wanted to lick the blood running out of the dot in my skin, because I was hungry as well as thirsty. But then, I controlled myself and used my dirty torn shirt to wipe the blood. I looked at the other roses in the garden and wondered why god gave thorns under such a beautiful flower.

"What happened, boy?" an elderly woman interrupted my thoughts. I had no idea where she appeared from but I was pretty sure that she was not my death angel. "I am hungry, fine? Now get lost and mind your own business" I replied her in a monotonous tone. I looked down as I was sure that she would leave me as I spoke to her in a very rude manner. To my surprise, she asked me to come with her in a very sweet tone. I was surprised, extremely surprised. Why did she ask me to come with her? Why is she talking to me sweetly when I am rude to her? Does she want to kidnap me? But I have nothing to give her, no money, no house, not even a family who would pay a ransom to get their son back.

"I don't have money" told her truthfully.

"Did I ask you for it?"

"I don't even have a family, who would pay you a ransom if you kidnapped me" She smiled at my reply.

Yes, yes, now she'll leave, I thought. She was trying to kidnap me and now after knowing I don't have a family she is smiling at herself for her stupid plan. Now she'll leave me alone. Thank god

"I am not going to kidnap you child, just come along with me"

I stared her with my eyes pooping out. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. It was as if I forgot how to talk. After a few seconds, I stood up and told her "okay"

Her humble smile gave me some kind of assurance that she was a good lady.

She started walking and I was following her. I didn't know who she was. I didn't know where she was taking me. I knew absolutely nothing about her but still something made me respect her.

RESPECT. Have I gone mad? I never gave anyone respect? Respect was a word that got deleted two years ago in my dictionary. Then why was I respecting this stranger?

I had a habit of looking down and walking, just after a few minutes she said "We're here".

I lifted my head to see a huge mansion standing in front of my eyes. Immediately my mind when back 2 years back to my house, my house which was as big as the mansion standing in front of me.

"Now?"I asked her in the same tone of mine.

She smiled again. I mentally thought if she had a smiling disease. I never found a reason to smile in the past two years.

"Come on in, I'll make something very delicious for you" she replied me with that everlasting smile on her face.

"Why do you want to feed me? I am an alien to you and so you are for me". The moment I finished the sentence she burst out laughing. 'Something is seriously wrong with this woman' the little voice inside me whispered.