Chapter 7 - Frostbiten Flashbacks

Ashland was adopted at a very young age. She wasn't even a year old yet. Canada was at France's house, visiting his father. France was extremely sick, Canada was so worried that he'd die that he visited him everyday while he was sick and then would leave at night. "Y-Yes Dad, I-I'll be careful. Love you too, eh." He said on his way out. He shut the door and stopped in his tracks. There was a baby carrier right in front of him, the sounds of a crying baby coming from inside. "E-Eh?!" He looked around for whoever's baby it was but no one was there. Nobody nor anything. He quietly walked over to it and lifted the blanket covering it. There was a tiny little girl with skin white as the snow of his country, hair even whiter and her eyes, they were beautiful. They were both a purple and a red in one. She was crying, not the baby cry where they just want something but actually crying with tears running down her tiny cheeks. "A-Aww... Please d-don't cry, eh." He said as if she would understand, but she did. She stopped and looked at Mattie. She smiled slightly. Mattie wiped her tears away gently with a single finger. He smiled and unbuckled her from the carrier. He gently put his hands underneath her lifted her out. He smiled as she did. She closed her eyes, smiling, her tiny cheeks pink. Mathew lifted her up close to his face and kissed her tiny nose. He had had an instant connection with her. It was as if he was meant to be her father but he didn't create her. He was instantly in love with his new found daughter. He held her forehead against his. "I won't forget about you n-nor will I ever let you d-disappear."

   She was eventually officailly adopted by Canada, her full name now being Ashtin Jackson Williams. Her birthday was not known so they decided to make it the day she was adopted, December 25th. Canada from then on considered her the best Christmas gift he had ever gotten and was happy he would never know who to thank.

  "C'mon... Say "Papa', eh!" Canada cheered on. Ashland giggled and just made baby squealy sounds. "'Papa'..." He repeated. Still nothing. "Mmm..." She 'said'. Mattie smiled and shook his head. He had his hair tied back like Francis had when Canada was little. He leaned back in his chair and smiled at his giggly child. "Mmm..." She 'said' again. "Maple!" She had said her first word. Canada's jaw dropped. "Did you just say..." "Maple!" He smiled and burst out laughing. "Th-That's adorable, eh!" He said, picking her up from her highchair. She giggled and said 'Maple' over and over for a long time before she started to grow. Canada had taught her how to read, write and alk within a matter of days. Walking, however, was a different story. She was about eight now and she still could barely walk. "C'mon Ashtin, i-its not that h-hard, eh." He held her hands out in front of her as they walked. "I-It's t-too vard, Papa." "C'mon, y-you've almost got it. I-I'm just gonna let go, eh." He let go and she almost fell, she stood back up and took a few more steps. "Th-there you go! Y-You're doing great, eh!" She stumbled and started to fall, Canada catching her immediately. "A-Are you okay, eh?" She nods as a few tears run down her face. "W-Why can't I valk?" He kissed her forehead softly. "I d-don't know baby, but you will." Eventually she did start to walk, but it did take a while. One night Ashland was laying in her bed, her father sitting next to her as she was sick. She hugged a stuffed rabbit close to her chest. "P-P-Papa... W-Where d-did I get th-this rabbit?" She asked shakily. "W-Well, it was left with you when I adopted y-you, eh." "L-Left with me...?" The bunny was tiny and white with red-purple eyes, it just dawned on her that it was meant to be like her. "Th-the bunny's me..." The bunny had stiches down its arms and a smile stitched on it's face. This wasn't so much as true then as it was now.

  Canada and Ashland walked into the meeting, holding hands and walking slowly. "Canada! What the hell are you doing bringing a-" "Sh-She's a country t-too America..." America bent down infront of the tiny country. "There's no way, dude! She's too small!" Embarrassed and scared, she hid behind her daddy. Canada took her and pulled her out from behind him and picked her up. "S-Say hello t-to Uncle America, eh." Ashland huddled close to Canada's chest and hid her face. America laughed slightly. "Dude, she's just like you!" He said smiling and poked Ashland's cheek. She blushed and huddled closer. "C-Come on baby, d-don't be afraid, eh. Alfred won't hurt you." Ashland looked up from her father's chest at the smiling American. "H-Hallo..." She said softly. America smiled widely. "That's adorable dude!" She blushed and shrank back down. America and Canada both laughed slightly. France came over to America and Canada and smiled. "Hey France don't get any weird ideas!" America shouted. "No, No, she's my granddaughter. That'd be odd." He said then turning to Ashland. "Bonjour belle~!" France said to the tiny albino. She smiled and reached for him, wanting him to hold her. He took her from Canada and held her close to him. "Salut grand-papa~!" She giggled in French. "Comment êtes-vous chère?" France asked. America looked at them, confused that she could speak French better than English. "Très bien, papa a dit que nous allons faire de la crème glacée après la réunion!" She squealed with joy. "Oh vraiment, c'est merveilleux!" France said, kissing her forehead. "Hey dudes," America cut in. "The meetings about to start. England's here." Ashland smiled and turned to Canada. "Angleterre! Papa, je peux aller le voir?" Canada smiled and bent down and kissed her nose. "Of course, remember your e-english, eh." "O-Oh, right." She said softly, she was better at French- meaning that more of her citizens spoke French than English. She kissed France on the nose and he set her down. She ran to the front of the room and hugged England's leg tightly. "Grandpa Iggy~!" She squealed. Iggy smiled down at her. "Ashland, love!" He said, picking her up. "How are you?" The Englishman asked. "G-Good~!" She giggled and kissed her Grandpa's cheek. He smiled widely and pushed her hair out of her face. "Is your English any better?" She shook her head sadly. He kissed the top of her head. "It's alright, love. It will." Canada came over and smiled at Ashland then up at England. "I-Is the m-meeting starting soon, eh?" England nodded. "Be good, alright?" Ashland nodded and reached over for her Papa. He took her and sat in thier seat.