Unlucky In Love *Chapter 1*

Chapter 1

"You're getting married." The words flew out of my mothers mouth like a miner runs out of a mine after the canary passes out. The sentence caused my brain to implode, for I couldn't decipher what she had just said.

"I'm sorry can you say that one more time?" I ask my wide eyed mother as I take a bite of my eggs and a drink of my milk.

"Well, you see, the thing is, you're getting married." I tilt my head to the side and swallow my mouthful of breakfast. My mother, sitting across from me at the table with my dad, pushes her dark brown bangs to the side of her face in anticipation of my reaction. All the while eyeing my plate with a scowl on her thin lips and disapproval in her large hazel eyes.

"I think you don't understand what you just said. I mean, is it a question or something? Of course I'm getting married, you know, when the time is right and when I find that special someone." I reply, pushing my half full plate away from me to stop her from staring at how much food I actually took. She glances at my face then becomes preoccupied with her pristine nail beds.

"I don't think you understand, Crecentia. We have someone for you to marry. As in, we've arranged for you to be wed to someone." My mother says, becoming annoyed at my naive personality. I sigh. My mother always tries to control my life, this just happens to be one of her schemes. I'm almost positive my father will come into the conversation any moment telling her how crazy that idea is and to just let me be my own person.

"No you don't." I say matter-of-factly. She shakes her head and looks up at me. An intense desire to kick in her teeth overwhelms me.

Paulina isn't my real mother. My father just insists I call her that, not to mention the name's grown on me, because I can now call her 'Mother, Dearest'. She was married into my family after the tragedy I once called Mom. Although she had left for prison many years ago, divorcing my dad and making it known how much she hated me for ruining her life, she was still the only person I considered my mother. Paulina is just a substitute for what's missing in our family. Being closer to my age than she is to my fathers she is referred to as The Whore around the other members of my fathers family. At 64 my father is thirty years her senior. It's quite disgusting if you ask me.

"Of, course we do. We wouldn't have brung up the subject if we didn't have anyone to pair you with."

"To pair me with? What am I, some kind of blue-tooth or something." I spit and glare at her. She shrinks back and nudges my father with her foot. He puts the newspaper in his hands down so I can clearly see his soft blue eyes.

"Look Cree, we just think that you would be good for this guy, you could fix him. His parents really have high hopes for you. Just give it a chance. I'll tell you what, if you can't get along with him after a year of marriage then you are permitted to divorce him." He runs his shaky hand through his rough gray hair. I remember a time when my father had strawberry blonde hair that was the envy of most of the woman that worked in our house, others were too afraid of the powerful man to say anything.

"After a year of marriage, and how do you expect me to suffer through an entire year or more? Not to mention the time I have to be engaged to him. Speaking of which, when exactly do I have to meet him?" So close, I was so close to losing my top and killing both the people who called themselves my parents.

"We aren't sure yet. We need to have another meeting with his parents to determine it." My father says. He looks scared, like he's waiting for me to cut his throat or something.

"Here darling, why don't you go into the city and get some coffee and a new outfit or something." My mother hands me her american express gold card. I huff and turn to storm out the door. That is, before I saw our three people that make up our west wing staff.