Chapter 6

I know North's official story but I'm mixing it in with my own headcanon.

Mortal; Jack was becoming mortal. Just the sound of the word sent a strong pang through his chest.

Nico stayed in the shadow for the rest of the day, watching Jack, sure that his fellow Guardian couldn't see him. The son of Hades gave his friend a quick once over. After fighting a new streak of brown had appeared in his hair; but the formerly white haired guardian didn't notice. Despite the fact he was becoming mortal, Jack's aura and life force was healthier and happier than ever before. So to Nico it seemed that nothing unhealthy, per say, was happening to his friend.

Did that mean it could possibly work for him?

Jack could be seen by everyone now, he was attending camp, and he was interacting with people. Certainly the Guardian of Fun would be having a great time. Nico wanted that. Back when he was mortal he had liked being alone; but becoming a Guardian made him realise that there was a difference between wanting to be alone, and feeling alone. The Guardians kept him company, but it wasn't the company he wanted.

Setting his sights on the only possible opportunity that could make him mortal, Nico broke into Thoth's library and took out a couple of books on monsters through mythology. Setting himself up on the porch of the Big House, he began immersing himself into the books. If he could find what was controlling those monsters, he could find who took Jacks staff, and then find who was making him mortal. Strike up a deal. Nico certainly had enough access to jewels and riches.

For a fleeting moment he found himself wondering how the Guardians would feel. Betrayed was the biggest word in Nico's head. Surely they would understand though, right? He was the Guardian of family; he wanted a family, he wanted to be a part of his godly family; and he certainly didn't want to outlive his friends.

He read until the sunset, and even through dinner, not even flinching as a camper came close to walking through him. His eyes were watering with pain from strain and his head was pounding, but he was determined. He had worked through Egyptian, Greek, Roman and even some Hindu mythology and come up with nothing.

"Hey Nico," Leo climbed up the stairs of the Big House, obviously having left dinner early.

"Hi," Nico rubbed his eyes. He needed to sleep.

"Thanks for coming and getting me," Leo sat down next to him.

"You need to get back?" Nico didn't even look at him.

"I think I'll stay the night, the cabins pretty down at the moment, they need my sense of humour to cheer them up," the smile was obvious in Leo's voice, "And I am cabin head. Chiron said to expect a couple more meetings….I have been forgetting my duties a bit."

"Nyssa doesn't mind," Nico commented as he closed the large book and picked up a papyrus scroll.

In the distance everyone was heading towards the camp fire. No doubt Apollo cabin would lead the party with songs while the Hermes cabin would try and regal everybody with stories. Tonight's camp fire would probably go long into the night; it always did when spirits needed to be lifted.

"You going to come?" Leo stood up, "It won't be the same without your smiling-" Nico scowled at him "-bright face."

Nico rolled his eyes.

"Come on," Leo attempted to heft him to his feet, but Nico remained grounded.

Leo soon gave up and left Nico alone. The son of Hades rubbed his tired eyes before sighing and packing his books away. He walked slowly towards the camp fire and stayed in the shadows to watch.