Chapter 8

The spirit of winter usually wasn't one to spend time appreciating buildings or décor, due to the fact he usually slept in trees, but this place....wow. Resting across the street from Central Park, the rails glimmered brightly and the marble steps seemed to shine. The doormen wore expensive suits and even the doorway canopy seemed to be made of expensive material.

"The Oracle lives here?" Jack breathed as he stood outside the van, "I mean I'm not a big home expert, but I know this place has to be expensive."

"Her dad's loaded," Percy commented as he stretched with a grunt, "and she runs art charity auctions and a couple environmental companies."

The four of them began up the steps, going slow for Grover who was using crutches and fake feet to hide his hooves, and all the while they could see the doormen watching them with keen judgemental eyes. When they did reach the doors, they hesitated in opening them. After a quick once over they opened the doors and allowed them access. The whole lobby was bigger than Percy's apartment, filled with a reception desk, comfortable couches, various tables and even its own little newsstand.

Percy didn't seem amazed. He merely shifted in his shirt as if feeling underdressed before heading to the reception desk.

"Excuse me?" he questioned the tight haired lady sitting behind the expensive counter, "is Rachel Elizabeth Dare in?"

The women clicked at her computer for a moment, not even sparing a glance; "I'm not at liberty to disclose that information. Unless your name is on their registered guest list I am afraid you will have to find another way to contact Ms Dare."

"Can you check the list, I'm sure she put me on there," Percy leant on the counter, much like a child would when their mother was buying something, "I'm Percy Jackson."

The women let out a silent huff before clicking away again. Jack watched as the annoyance leaked from her tight face and was replaced with corny cheeriness.

"I am so sorry Mr Jackson," the women said hurriedly, standing up behind her desk and picking up an elevator card as she went, "it seems you are on her list. We run a very upper class business here; our guests rely on us to be thorough."

"I understand," Percy seemed to be resisting the urge to laugh, "is Rachel in?"

"You're just a couple minutes behind her, actually," the women lifted up a part of the counter and entered onto their side, "if you follow me, I'll lead you upstairs."

Percy smiled at his three companions before following the lady into the elevator. Jack took his time, crinkling his toes against the marble, smelling the sweet winter lilies that would surely be just about out of season. For a moment Jack wondered what it would be to live in a place like this. He just couldn't imagine it.

As Jack entered the elevator, the doors closed and they shot upwards for a smooth filled with even smoother jazz. All the while the attendant chattered away to Percy about useless things while Percy pretended to be interested. Grover seemed t be eying the elevator railings while Thalia was tapping her foot impatiently. Eventually the doors slid open and they came face to face with a vibrant green wall.