Soon

Excuse the mistakes. I don't think there's a lot, but still. If you see any, tell me?

~I UPDATED XD~

Chapter 17

It took hours and hours—long, miserable hours—but after trying on several different dresses, ones that were multi-colored, solid colored, and some just being full-out sparkly, I finally found the dress. The shade was ruby, the length was long, and the style was flow-y. It was beautiful. It reached just above my ankles, allowing everyone to see the see the scruffy converses that were perched onto both feet. Fake pearls outlined the breast area, and sequins were attached between each of those. It was a pattern. I loved it. The sight, even on me, I might say, was breathtaking.

I stepped out of the dressing room, and once I did, everyone—my mom, Jessie, and Linda—gasped. They were shocked; it was visible on their face. They too knew this was the dress for me. I think everyone in the room knew it was. But this one, nagging voice kept telling me something else—opposing whatever hope I had for this dress: Mike won’t like it. It’s too long, and it’s not even pretty. It’s . . . blah. Was the voice right, would Mike be disappointed in my choice of style? Maybe I should go try on something else . . .

My mother’s voice cut off my thoughts. “Sweetie, you look amazing! Simply gorgeous!” my mother exclaimed, running over and enveloping me into a bone-crushing hug. Stunned by the sudden contact, my eyes widened and I froze. But after relaxing, a smile formed on my lips and I threw my arms around the petite woman. It’d been a while since I’ve gotten this type of warm gesture from her—even before the whole getting-drunk-and-riding-home-with-Kayden thing. It felt nice, this hug from my mother. A part of me wanted it to last. A part of me wanted to stay her baby girl.

But I knew I couldn’t do that. I would be turning eighteen in just a year. I was soon going to be a senior. It was time for me to grow up. And after I unlatch myself from her, I would start doing that. I would start being an adult.

Like people say, you can only move forward—never backwards.

“Thanks, mom,” I croaked out, teary-eyed as I pulled away. It was time. My child years were over with; adult years were just beginning. And they were going to be filled with exhilarating events, I just knew it.

I turned to my friends, blinking away the tears. “What about you guys? Do you guys like it?”

Jessie kept her face emotionless, blank. “Do I like it?” she repeated.

I nodded, confirming her skepticism.

She scowled. “I love it, you ding dong! Now, come on, let’s go buy it!” Before I was able to grasp what was happening, her tiny hand wrapped around my wrist and I was being pulled down the aisle of dresses and professional women’s clothing.

I let out several pleads as I tried to jerk back my hand, though, surprisingly, she managed to still handle my uneven weight and pull me along. I sighed in aggravation. Had she forgotten that I was still wearing the dress? And about the fact that I also wanted my other best friend, Linda’s, opinion? But, in truth, I was used to Jessie’s impulsive personality and forgetfulness. And though it was annoying, I loved her like a sister anyways.

“Jess.” I stretched my tone, allowing it to sound a tad snappy, causing Jessie to stop and turn to me. She raised an eyebrow in questioning. “I’m still wearing the dress, and I want to know what Linda thinks, too, okay? So just calm down and stop acting like a madwoman, eh?”

Jessie’s mouth formed in an ‘O’ just as she uttered, “Oh.”

I nodded with a smile, and after getting away from her hold, I turned to Linda. “So, Lindy, do you like it?” I asked, my smile turning into a grin.