Just My Luck

~Edited~

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

The frosty wind blew by me as I began to read the first chapter of The Scarlet Letter. My butt was uncomfortably planted on the tree branch while my skin was irritably bitten by blood-sucking bugs.  The sound of an engine filled my ears and I looked over at the house next door. A red, beat-up truck came zooming into the empty house next door, the vehicle jumping up and down as it slid on the driveway. .

A boy, who looked to be my age, with messy brown hair and a tall frame got out first, exiting out of the driver's side, while an older woman, with blonde hair and tan skin, stepped out last.  

“Are you excited?” the woman said. Her eyes skimmed over the exterior of the old home.

“Yeah, I guess,” the boy said bluntly.

“Sweetie, I want this to be a new start. Why are you being so rude to me?” She faced the boy, tears in her eyes.

“A house, half a bag of new clothes, and twenty dollars won’t erase the past, Mother.” He sent her a glare, before opening up the driver’s side door and getting in. The loud “bang” sound filled my ears as the door shut…hard.

She sighed and then closed her eyes. After a moment of just standing there, she opened up the passenger side door and got in.

Their lips moved, but the sound was inaudible to my ears. And then, after a moment, they were backing out of the driveway and racing down the raod. 

They must have been the new neighbors. They seemed…interesting. But I wasn’t sure if that “interesting thing” was a good thing or a bad thing.

I averted my eyes from the adjacent house and proceeded to read my book.

                                                                        ~'~

The weekend had gone rather fast. The new neighbors came Sunday as well, bringing boxes and their belongings to their new home, and I read my book and went shopping with Linda and Jessie for the Winter Dance that was coming up next month. I was helping them both look for dresses. While we were shopping, they had tried to persuade me to get a dress and go the dance, but I politely declined. Dresses and dances have never been my thing.

It was now Monday and I was dreading going back to school. School meant more schoolwork, more homework, and more Mike. All three things that I didn’t want to deal with.

As I was walking to my first period, someone called my name.

“Elyse!”

It was Lena, a girl from my Science Class. Her eyes were wide while her hair was flying. She looked…stressed. Or scared. It was hard to tell with Lena; she almost always looked crazy. I felt mean and bad for thinking it, but it was true.

“What is it Lena?” I smiled.

“I have something to tell you and you’re going to freak.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, but said nothing.

Suddenly, her hand circled around my wrist and I was being pulled down the hallway. I shouted apologies as I continuously got into others ways, as well as hit them on the way to wherever Lena was dragging me.