Chapter 5

Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Kendrick's POV

    "What the hayel?!" I said without thinking. "La'quanda?!"

    La'quanda Williston. She's probably the most annoying girl in the world. She had a crush on me ever since grade 1, when she first came to Compton from West Philadelphia.  She kept asking me out and sh*t, declaring her love for me every single f*cking second. Once, in grade 4, she told me she was pregnant and I was her baby's daddy. I was scared as hell. I ain't know nothing about being a father! I talked to my dad about it and he said, Nigga, you dumb as hell. Y'all 9 motherf*cking years old! She probably ain't even had her period yet! I wanted to beat the sh*t out of her. But I wasn't raised to hit ladies, even if they were triflin' ass thots. A year ago, she asked me out again, I said no, of course, so she went off and thought it was a good idea to sleep with my best friend, Marcus, and that that would piss me off. Well, it did. Especially since he actually got her pregnant. I feel for him, man. You shoulda seen what his momma did when she found out. She slapped him into the next Sunday. But, for real, La'quanda's some sh*t to deal with.

    La'quanda got up from our blue sofa to greet me. She took 3 steps towards me and said, "Hello, Kendrick." She had that nasty devious smile on her face.

    I backed the hell up, my nigga! "Whatchu doin' here?" I asked with a serious look of disgust on my face.

    "That ain't how you treat guests, Kenny! Say hello," my momma said. She knew about everything that happened, but for some odd reason, she liked La'quanda.

    I didn't want to, but my mom would've knocked the f*ck out of me. "Hey," I said solemnly. Just saying 'hey' nearly killed me. "How's Janine?" Janine is La'quanda's daughter.

    "Oh, she's great. Thanks for asking," she smiled at me then turned around to sit down. I think she could tell I wasn't about to hug her.

    I didn't want to talk anymore, so I cleaned up my mess, went back in to the kitchen and got more food. I came out and said, "Momma, I'm finna go to the studio with Q."

    "You gon' finish ya homework first, right?"

    "Of course!" I said and chuckled a little. I could see how La'quanda was eyeing me. I knew she wanted this dick.

    "Ok, Kenny. Holla at Quincy for me!" Momma said smiling. "and don't get into trouble, okay?"

    "Yes ma'am!" I yelled as I ran up the stairs to get to my room. I ate my chips while finishing my homework. It took me a minute but I got it done by 5:30. After that, I finished one of my poems called Cut You Off.

    By 5:40, I was finshed editing it, so I got ready to leave. I went downstairs to find out that La'quanda was still there. So, I went through the back door hoping they didn't notice me.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

    "Ayyyeee!! Kenny, my nigga!" My nigga, Q said.

    "Q, my nigga!!" We dapped each other. Q's been one of my homies since the 1st grade. He was like my brother. "What's good, ya bish?"

    "Nothin', just chillin', killin'." We walked into the studio and greeted Jay and his friend Ab-Soul. His government is Herbert, but ain't nobody called him that except his mom.

    We recorded some dope sh*t and did some freestyling. We also did a little bit of fooling around, as usual. It was pretty much a regular day at the studio.