Chapter 12

Monday, October 21, 2002

Yn's POV

    When the bell rang for lunch, I quickly got my stuff together and left as soon as possible. As I walked further down the hall, I heard my name being called from behind.

    "Yn! Yn!!" I recognized that voice. I turned and saw Kaelynn speed walking towards me. I stood to the side of the hall and waited for her. She finally caught up and we walked side by side. "Thought you was finna ditch me, huh?" she asked, smirking at me.

    "Girl, stop playing," I shoved her gently and smiled.

    "Naw, but for real," she said with a grin. "You leave so early, these days. Barely have time for ya girl."

    "I just been busy," I replied, gripping my books even tighter and shrugging. I did feel bad for ditching Kaelynn so much, but I loved spending time with Kendrick. I couldn't tell her that, though. She'd make fun of me.

    "Doing what?" she asked. She glared at me as we walked. I looked back at her and looked away. "Kendrick?" she asked, partially teasing me.

    Ugh, I wish, I thought. "Nooo," I said, awkwardly. "We've just been hangin' out. That's all."

    "Sure," she said, giggling. "So, were you hoping to get with him, today?"

    "Sort of..." I said.

    "Does that mean you about to ditch me again?" she said, sounding disappointed. We exited the building and the sun nearly blinded me. We made our way to the courtyard and I enjoyed every single aspect of that stroll through nature. It was a beatiful day.

     I stopped at the Cherry Blossom tree and so did Kaelynn.  I turned to face her and she stood facing me. "Where do you wanna go?" I asked her. A confused look crossed her face.

    "Whatchu mean?" she asked crossing her arms.

    "I'm asking you where you want to go for lunch." I said, crossing my arms and shifting my weight onto my left leg. "I mean, unless you have better things to do with out me," I said, giving her the most attitude I could possibly get out of myself; neck roll and everything.

    Kaelynn laughed and said, "You ain't got to give me all that attitude, ma nigga." I laughed also. "Look, how about--" her eyes wandered above my head and she started speaking slower and slower. "--we... go.... to....." Like the dumbass I was, I didn't bother to look back to see what she was looking at. Instead I stared, not realizing that someone was creeping up behind me. All of a sudden, The person grabbed me aggressively with their right arm around my body and their left hand on my mouth. The person shook me from side to side as I screamed and shrieked into the palm of their hand. Kaelynn just stood there giving the man (I assumed it was a man) a dirty look. Okay, your dirty looks may be intimidating, but this nigga tryna mug me and all you do is watch?! I wanted to yell at her. The f*ck is wrong witchu?! I got tired of letting the guy swing me around like that, so I bit his finger real hard. I turned around and threw a punch at him before realizing it was Kendrick. He blocked it and pulled me in for a hug.

    He chuckled and said, "Calm down. It's just me," as he tightened his grip around me. He let go and said, "I gotchu, didn't I?"

    "Mmm," I nodded my head and looked away. That was f*cking embarrassing. Forreal, forreal.

    "So, we chillin' today or nah?" he asked. Kaelynn rolled her eyes into the next Sunday.

    "I was finna chill with Kae, but we can all hang out together, right?" I asked, looking at Kaelynn, awaiting her approval.