Chapter 6

I yell in frustration as I slam the door behind me. Miranda rushed towards me, she raised an eyebrow. I shake my head as I drop my bag to the floor, then making myself fall on my plush sofa. Miranda sat next to me, helping me sit up straight. She says nothing. She pats my back, making me angry in the inside.

"What happened?" She finally mutters, as she fixes the strands of hair blocking her view.

"They know," I whisper, so soft that Miranda couldn't hear it.

"I'm sorry, what is it you said, miss?"

'They found out!" I snapped, my throat felt rough like sandpaper. Miranda's mouth forms into an 'O' shape, she nods her head slowly then runs to the kitchen, leaving me to weep in my frustration.

After around twenty minutes of crying and sobbing, Miranda returns. Her hands clasping the edges of a silver tray, and a glass of milk sits on top, next to my favorite Oreos. She sits next to me once again, handing me the tray. I smile gratefully at her. She then pulls out a small parcel, small enough to fit on the palm of my hand. She hands it to me gently. I thank her quickly, then focused on ripping the parcel open.

It revealed a small brown wooden box, with a silver lock on it. On the bottom of the parcel lay a bright shining key, illuminating a bright glow straight to my eyes, making me squint. Miranda taps the lock of the box, then points to the silver key. I nod in understanding, opening the lock with the tiny key. It turns, then opens.

Lifting the lid, it revealed dozens of black and white pictures of people whom I don't know. Miranda gave me a big smile, she picks up the picture on the top, showing it to me. It was two girls, one with brown hair the other black. Both looked so happy. I turn my gad towards Miranda, who stared at the picture, completely ignoring me.

"Who is this?" I ask, gaining a new found curiosity. My hands put the metal tray on the small coffee table in front of me, picking up an Oreo in the process.

She turns towards me, she points to the smaller, brown haired girl. "That's me," then her gaze falls on the black haired girl. "That's Dorothy, my big sister, she died a few years ago because of cancer."

I places hand on her shoulder, giving her an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, looking down t my now half eaten Oreo.

"It's okay," she pipes, looking back down at the picture. "It's what I wanted to show you anyways, you see I am happy even though it happened." She looks up at me. "My mom always said that you should see the good in all bad things." She picks up another photo. He beams at me.

"This she day I graduated from grade school, that year my mom said I couldn't finish school. Since dad was sick and couldn't work and she couldn't find a job. But then this good man came around, offering to cover for my school expenses, making me finish my studies. Well my gee school studies." She giggles, clutching my shoulder. "That's why miss, there is always a good side of everything."

Giving her a big smile, I throw my arms at her giving her a big fat bear hug. She laughs at me. I release her from my grasp.

"What's so funny?" I ask.

She points to the floor, sowing the now spilled tray, Oreos and milk. My cheeks flush red, as my hand scratches my head, making my hair go messy.

"Sorry," I say sheepishly.

"it's okay, that's why I work here, to clean, remember." She stands up and walks to the kitchen, coming back out with a broom in hand. She starts to sweep the Oreos as I pick up the tray, bring it to the kitchen. When I got back from the kitchen, she was already done sweeping, now picking up the large pieces of glass that shattered.