Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

            “Hey, anyone want to head over to the mall?” Jo said after an hour at my house. Patrick and Ethan groaned yet their eyes never left the TV as they continued playing with the Xbox.

            “But we’re already having fun!” Patrick complained as he shot a goal, pounding his fist in the air.

            Ethan gave him an incredulous look before going back to the game. Yes, they were playing FIFA (though I didn’t know which version seeing as only my brother was fond of these stuff). Obviously Patrick was winning but I had to admit Ethan was almost as good.

            Jo pouted. “Only you guys are! I want to watch a movie! Even Cassie wants to watch one. Right, Cass?”

            I looked up from the TV, transfixed in their game. “What?”

            She sighed and shook her head. Then she moved closer to me.

            You see, when the boys found out that my little brother had an Xbox (Patrick already knew this but still acted surprised), they immediately begged me if they could play with it (Patrick had this mischievous glint in his eyes) and in the end, both of their pleas (plus mine after a dog pile) were answered. So, now the floor was their comfy couch.

            Jo leaned in and whispered, “Which one is it then?” She gestured to the guys on the floor. “Any favorites?”

            I gave her my most stunned expression and then started laughing. “No one, Jo!”

            Both guys looked up and stared at us, the game momentarily forgotten. They gave us questioning looks but I merely shook my head at them. Ethan immediately went back to the game while Patrick continued looking at me as if to say: Well? Answer it.

            Did he hear it? Impossible.

            “What?” I questioned. “Why are you—?”

            “WHOO! GOAL!” Ethan shouted. “In your face, Walker!”

            Patrick smiled dryly at Ethan’s back. Then the glint in his eyes returned. “You know what? I changed my mind. Let’s go to the mall!”

            Jo squealed. “FINALLY!”

***

            We had been at Grand Square for almost thirty minutes and we still haven’t decided what to do. It was a huge place, enough for all the hang outs and whatnots. Since it was a Saturday evening, the place was bustling with people. We saw a bunch of other schoolmates here and there but none of us were too chummy with them to say hi, well except for Patrick.

            I sometimes wonder why he even wanted to go to the mall. What was up with his little brain? There must be something going on.

            As I was lost in my thoughts, I didn’t know we had already reached the movie area. Thinking about Patrick makes time fly fast. It was uncanny.

“What movies are showing?” Jo voiced out.

            “Um…” Ethan said as he squinted at the movie display. “You know what? Let’s just head over there.”

            Well, that immediately left Patrick and me to ourselves. I didn’t think of making small talk as I sipped my milkshake. Patrick had other ideas.