Chapter 23

The sky was gray.

The sky was gray.

The sky should definitely not be gray.

The sun is not out.

Crops are failing.

The only food we have is canned goods and non perishable foods.

I don't know about you, but to me, this sounds like the end of the world.

And everyone else was thinking that too.

Everyone thinks there is only one person to blame for this.

Teresa.

She woke up from her coma, and now nothing has been the same.

She spoke with Thomas first, then later he relayed her information to me. Apparently, she had triggered the Ending. Whatever that means.

But all I know, is that we didn't have much time left.

Barely enough food to feed ourselves.

Failing crops.

No sun.

No way to get out.

We were screwed.

I usually try to stay positive, but this was just too much.

How could we possibly get out of here? Were we just supposed to die of starvation and then be left to rot?

And the atmosphere in the Glade had changed. You could cut the tension with a knife.

It we pretty bad here in the Glade, and I didn't think it could get any worse.

Oh how wrong I was.

This was probably the worst possible thing that could have happened. I could deal with gray skies and food shortages.

But I definitely could not deal with the Doors not closing.

They usually closed.

Every night.

Except this night.

And I was panicking.

I had handled everything okay before, but I still had been stressed about it. I had been calm and collected.

But I think this was the last straw.

I had reached my breaking point.

I went into full out panic mode.

No matter what anybody did, I could my calm down. I even tried to take deep breaths. Didn't work.

While I was busy panicking, Newt instructed everyone to get into the Homestead. They nailed boards to the windows and tried to seal everything they could.

Everyone went into the bedrooms with their sleeping bags and pillows. Once one room was filled, everyone else filed into another room until all rooms were full. The doors were locked and barricaded. The windows boarded up and locked as well.

I had finally slowed my breathing, and calmed down just a bit. But that didn't mean I wasn't still panicking.

Newt sat on the floor, pulling me down to sit next to him. I leaned into his side while he stroked my hair gently.

"It's okay, Amber. We'll get through this." He whispered so quietly if I hadn't been right next to him I wouldn't have heard. Everyone was having small conversations, but we were sure to keep as quiet as possible. Who knows where the Grievers are now.

I only sighed in response. I held onto him tighter, afraid to let go in fear of losing him.

"Will you stay with me?" I whispered, as the sounds whirring and clicking interrupted the silence outside.

He hugged me to his chest, and I could hear his heart beating. He kissed the top of my head and took a breath.

"Until the very end."

___________________________
Hey guys! Sorry it's a short chapter but I really wanted to update. This book is almost over but don't worry I'll write a sequel. That'll be up soon after I finished this book. Also, thank you so much for 1k reads. I really appreciate it and it means a lot to me. So thank you guys 💘 anyways don't forget to comment and vote! Bye guys!

xoxo
Michaela