Musings

Keefe woke with a start. He looked around his room, half expecting to see the hooded figure standing in a corner, watching him sleep. What had happened? Had Keefe been transported to a beach in the middle of the night? Had everything been a dream? No. He didn't think so. It had felt so real. He could still smell the salty breeze and feel the cool light of the crescent moon upon his skin. Maybe his body had stayed in bed but his consciousness had drifted. Keefe had never heard of transporting another's consciousness like that but that didn't mean it wasn't possible.

"We are the Neverseen." Keefe repeated to himself. "Pretty good, I could have done better but pretty good considering."  Keefe thought that it was a little silly to promote that particular aspect of the group (not being seen) so much that they named themselves after it. It made him laugh to think that he had just found out about them and he had already seen them.  Keefe was sure it had been real and he had seen them. Thanks to Keefe's photographic memory,  he could remember everything about the stranger from his black robes to the gravelly voice that protruded from the shadows that was his face.  Keefe couldn't even begin to describe how creepy the situation was.  

I can't wait to tell Fitz-- 

Keefe interrupted his own train of thought.  

No, I can't tell.    

Keefe wanted to get his best friend's opinion on the events of the night before but decided not to test the Neverseen.  Besides, he didn't really have that much information to hand over.  He decided to wait.  He would go to Fitz when he received some quality news.  With the information Keefe had, Fitz would only be able to speculate and Keefe was an expert speculator without his best friend's help.  

But that brought him to another troubling thought:  

"We know everything that happens. The Lost Cities, Forbidden Cities, Ogre Territory, you name it and we have scouts in positions of rank and power."

Keefe shuddered.  What did this mean?  Keefe didn't know how big the Neverseen was but nevertheless, this was a scary thought.  Who was a spy in the Elvin world? Someone high up . . . like a principal?  Dame Alina could be a pain and he really didn't know that much about her.  But what would a super secret group like the Neverseen do with a scout in the academy?  

Or maybe the scout was an Emissary.  That would be super helpful for the Neverseen.  The Emissaries are really close with the Council and know about everything that is going on in the Lost Cities.  The Councils go to Emissaries for advise and an Emissary's word was very influential.  But to become an Emissary, the process was long and grueling.  Surely the Council would be able to sniff out an untrustworthy applicant, right?  Keefe paused, an unbelievable thought coming to his brain.  

The Council . . . 

No.  It was impossible.  A spy could not be on the Council.  The Councilors have been around forever, way longer than any organisation could have.  

But if they joined the Neverseen later or if the hooded figure had appeared to one of them and convinced them just like they were trying to convince me--

Keefe jumped up and shook his head.  A spy being on the Council was impossible.  End of discussion.  But, if in some alternate reality this was the case, Keefe was judging the Neverseen to harshly.  He was treating them like bad guys.  Just because they kidnapped him in the middle of the night and threatened him if he told anyone, that didn't make them evil.  They had just better have an AWESOME excuse.