Chapter 2

Bonding

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry said we would meet outside the main entrance after classes. And he was there, leaning against the rail of the long, wide staircase and fiddling with his iPhone. I walked over to him, trying my best to ignore the fact that Alexis and Paula were watching me. I could see them from the corner of my eye as I approached Harry. They were standing at the opposite side of the stairs with Morgan and her friends. Next thing I knew, they started calling me names that were not true.

Slut. Bitch. Whore. That was what I was to them now, and there was nothing I could do to change their outlook on me. Believe me, I had tried fixing our friendship. But there was no saving that sinking ship. It was beyond repair. All I could do was look back at them and give them a small smile to let them know that it didn't bother me. I should be used to their constant jabs by now.

"What was that about?" Harry suddenly asked, breaking the silence, causing me to tear my gaze away from Alexis and Paula and their friends.

I didn't really want to tell him. But if he wanted to know, I had to. I mean that was the meaning of friendship, right? I was not even sure if we were friends yet, probably heading in that direction, but I intended to find out. "Oh, uh, that was nothin-" I said, getting interrupted by Harry gripping on my forearms.

He then looked at me deeply in the eyes. "That wasn't nothing, Elina."

He was right. It wasn't nothing. It was two people who I trusted, who said they'd never leave but unfortunately they did. The girls that I once considered as my sisters. But one big fight between Paula and I occurred. And Alexis decided to be on Paula's side. That's when I chose not to be their friend anymore.

"It's just- you see those two over there?" I pointed to Paula and Alexis. Harry looked their way and nodded. "They were my best friends back in Sophomore year, but Paula and I fought over something that was really unnecessary, and Alexis joined her side which basically meant I lost them as friends." I added. Looking down at my shoe-clad feet, I let out a deep sigh and shook my head, trying to get the memories I had with them out of my head.

I looked up at Harry and saw that he was still looking at me. He looked rather upset in response, and his eyes were on me but they seemed distant and filled with such fury, as if he actually cared for me. He couldn't have though. We just met today. There was definitely no way that he would have already cared for me. Well, there might've been a small chance he would care a little.

"Are you okay, though?" He asked.

Nodding my head, I said, "Yeah, totally." It might have been a lie, but a bit of the truth. Ever since I had lost them as friends, I'd been happier, as if they were the ones who caused my depression that gradually took over me in time. I was not saying I was happy all the time but it seemed like the only thing to not let anyone pity me.

"Elina? Elina? You there?" Harry said, tapping my head.

I flinched, causing me to fly back into reality. I nodded. "Yeah. . ."

Harry chuckled and pulled me softly by my hand and led both of us to a café across the street. This basically meant that he wanted to know me a bit better, more like a lot. Since he went straight to order coffee or cappuccino at the front counter. I hadn't really been able to drink coffee, due to its strong taste. And if I added too much sugar to weaken it, it would have been worse. Diabetes.

Why was I even thinking this? I knew I was not diabetic but sugar could cause it, right? Of course, stupid.

Seating myself at a table made for two near the large window along the front, I sighed and put my head down as if I was going to have a nap in this public place. I held my head up and looked to my right to see if Harry was done ordering at the front counter, unfortunately not. He just stood there looking right at me. A smile stretched upon his lips as he looked away. Sighing, I looked out the window and thought about how I really screwed up my friendship with Alexis and Paula. I mean, it wasn't actually me who caused it but since those two were pussies, I took it all on myself.