Chapter 3 The First Step to Real Danger

"I never knew butterscotch cinnamon pie was so good! I've never had it like this!" Sonic said as he ate the pie slice. Shadow had put his slice into a plastic bag and put it into a bag. He made sure that the bag was rather large so it could carry their stuff in case if they decide to go on an adventure. Sonic looks up from his pie. "Should we go talk to Toriel now? Apologize for not listening to her?"

Shadow looks at the ground. He didn't want to talk to her after he had doubted her so much. "I guess it's the only thing we can do now. We can't stay in here forever."

"I need to get in contact with Tails somehow. I need to return to my friends somehow... We both do. I just don't know how yet... Maybe Toriel will tell us!" Sonic said racing to the doorknob. Shadow followed him a little more reluctantly.

They left the room. They looked into the living room. Toriel was back in her rocking chair and reading almost as if she never left. Sonic walked into the room and Shadow continued to follow. Toriel looked up and smiled.

"I noticed that you found your way here on your own. You didn't run into any trouble did you?" she asked.

"Not really. Shadow only doubted you a little. He forced me to follow you right after you left," Sonic answered.

"Er-um... Yeah... I'm sorry. I don't really know how people roll down in the Underground yet. That's why," Shadow added.

"Oh. Well, I'm glad that you trust me now! How did you like the pie? Did it turn out alright?" she asked.

"It was the best pie I've ever had!" said Sonic giving her a thumbs up.

"Thank goodness! I was afraid that I burned it a little! Your rest?" she questioned.

"We slept just fine." Shadow stopped. He sighed. " Listen, I want to thank you for being so nice to us. Even though we would like to stay here and eat your awesome pies forever, we do want to return home. We have friends there who are waiting for us."

Toriel was silent. She stood up from her chair and put down the book without even caring to save the page. She looked to them and began to walk out of he room. "Wait here."

"Wait! Where are you going?!" demanded Sonic.

They both raced after her downstairs. There was an extremely long hallway. Toriel began to walk down it. She stopped and turned back to them. "Go back upstairs. I'm going to take care of you and keep you safe forever."

"We can't stay here forever! We need to find our friends! All they know is that we fell down the hole to our deaths with- THE CHAOS EMERALDS!" Sonic yelled suddenly frantic.

"What are chaos emeralds?" asked Toriel

"They are the seven stones that sealed you down here. Where are the chaos emeralds?!" demanded Sonic.

Shadow quickly inhaled. He then facepalmed himself. Sonic knew what it meant when the Ultimate Life Form facepalms himself.It was bad. "The chaos emeralds must've teleported away after coming in contact with the barrier... Now they're scattered all over the Underground. They may be the only things that can save us now..."

"You're not going."

Sonic and Shadow looked to Toriel in alarm. Her face was so serious. Why didn't she want them to go out and save the Underground? Didn't she want to leave? "Why can't we leave?!" Sonic and Shadow both yelled.

"You both will only get killed out there. I've seen it happen again and again. I'm not going to let you through just to find a bunch of emeralds that could save us. What if they don't? Your journey will be all for nothing. What if you don't find them at all?" Toriel asked.