twenty one; we're gonna be alright

    I stand there, trying to think of what I'm going to say to him, when Connor walks into the dining room. He doesn't say anything to me as he grabs the glasses from the table.

I sigh heavily and grab the rest of the glasses, following behind Connor.

Michael is talking to Niall across the kitchen as he helps Niall load the dishwasher. Connor clears his throat, making both of them look at him.

Niall stops what he's doing and says something to Michael I can't hear from across the room. He pats Michael on the shoulder before he leaves with Connor, giving me a look on his way out.

Michael looks at me and takes a deep breath. "Do you put the cups in here, too?" He asks, nodding toward the glasses Connor put on the counter before leaving.

I nod and bring them over to him. He dumps the ice in the sink and puts them in the dishwasher. I do the same with the rest and then grab a dishwashing pod from under the sink. I put it in the dishwasher, close it and start it.

I turn to Michael, who is standing there with his arms crossed. I breathe in and out as he watches me. "Listen," I start.

He raises his eyebrows, waiting for me to continue.

I sigh. "I didn't mean what I said. I don't think Calum is better than you or that I'm better than you or anything like that, I promise."

He doesn't say anything to me, he just stares at me because he doesn't believe any of it.

I close my eyes. "I just want my dad to like you. I didn't want him thinking you were some stupid kid I was dating because that's not what you are and I thought that if I didn't change how we met, he would think down of you and he wouldn't be able to see passed that."

He scoffs. "So just because we met at a party, that completely defines who I am?"

"No, God, no," I groan. "I don't think that at all, but he's my dad and he might because parents are judgmental and once he has an idea of you in his head, it's really hard to change his mind. I just wanted him to have a good first impression of you."

He nods, smiling smugly. "So being myself was just bullshit?"

"Michael, you're making this a hell of a lot more complicated than it has to be," I tell him, getting annoyed with trying to explain to myself.

"Am I?"

I walk towards him, just giving up with arguing with him. It was stupid to begin with. "I didn't mean what I said, I'm sorry, okay?"

"Whatever," he says, but not moving away from me.

"Michael, please, don't do this. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean it and if I could, I would take it back. If you want we can go in there and tell them how we really met and that Calum just lurked around me for a couple weeks before you realized your real feelings for me, but it didn't matter because I only cared about you. I only care about you, Michael. Please don't shut me out."

He looks down at me and sighs. "Alright," he mumbles.

"I'm sorry," I tell him again.

"Next time, don't just ambush me like that," he says seriously, his obvious way of saying I hurt him.

"I won't. I'm sorry," I say genuinely.

He nods and kisses my forehead. "I forgive you," he says.