Chapter One~ Nightmares

{Authors Note: Dedicated to @BornToBeAWriter, for the awesome cover. And also, feel free to yell at me for not uploading it sooner. Trust me, I'm yelling at myself. And sorry to bore you, enjoy Chapter One!}

      I sprinted towards the figure, even though I knew that it was no use.    

      Caleb!

      I screamed his name but he couldn't hear me. I ran towards him, desperate for my brother.  Wait, please! Don't leave me...

      He mouthed "sorry" and looked the other direction, solemnly. Then he faded away...

     "Caleb!" I woke up screaming his name, as I shot out of bed.

      "Calm down, calm down. Just a dream, just a dream."  

      I slowly got dressed in my dirty, torn jeans and black v-neck tee. I was in no rush this morning. I went down the stairs of my loft and walked down the hallway to the side door, I grabbed my muddy boots and a bucket, then ran out our little makeshift house to the woods. I needed to grab some blackberries from the patch I found and some apples from the tree my best friend Ella gave me about 3 years ago. Both were about half a mile away from the house.

      After grabbing enough fruit to last a week, I wandered to Ella's house to get the bread she had made for me. Even bread was a delicacy now. Our diet usually consisted of rice, water, fruit, and the occasional loaf of bread. 

      I slipped off my boots and walked up the back steps. 

      "Hey Mo-," I started to say, but stopped.

     "Europe, please."

     "Is Tuesday the soonest you have?"

     "Okay, Tuesday, then."

     "4 tickets."

      "1 adult, 3 kids."

     "Yes, we're looking to escape. The battles are coming closer."

   "Okay, thank you." My mom hung up. Europe? Plane tickets? What about Caleb? He's still here, fighting!

     "Hi, Mom!" I exclaimed, hoping she didn't know I overheard. 

     "Hi, sweetie," she replied, but she seemed down.

     "I brought some apples and blackberries, and Ella gave me a loaf of bread. It's still warm, too," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

     "Oh, good. Olivia will like that."

     "Don't you want some?"

     "No, you guys can have it. I'm not hungry." She walked back to her room. Ever since I got home she has been acting strange. 

     About 3 hours later, she came out of her room. She called me and Olivia downstairs. I know this must be important because Kaycie came out of her room, for once.

     "Oh, Kaycie, how are you? What's it like to see the sunlight?" I said.

     "Shut up, Avery. Mom has something to tell you."

     "Girls, I bought plane tickets to Europe. We're leaving tomorrow."

     "On vacation?" I asked, even though I very well knew it wasn't a vacation at all.

     "No. Avery, we're moving there until the battles pass through."

     "What!?! No! Caleb is still here! Are you going to abandon your own son?"

     "Avery, I can't risk the lives of my 3 daughters to stay here. We can come back for Caleb after."

     "Mom!"

     "I don't want  to hear it. We're leaving tomorrow, end of discussion."     

{So? What do you think? Comment anything you think I should change or things you like/ don't like about the story. I just want (and need) feedback! Vote and fan me if you like it, and suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks for reading. PS. If you read this far, comment 'chubby bunny' :) Thank you! Byeeee! ~Abi<3}