One Step At A Time

Beep. "Good morning, Rain. I just want to remind you that you need to be at Studio 8 by 9 today. Alright? See you later, Bebe!"

Rain, who was staring at the ceiling of her bedroom, glanced at the clock on her bedside table. It's 7 a.m. in the morning. She still has two hours to prepare for her 9 o'clock appointment. She has been awake for hours now as she wasn't able to sleep through the night. It has always been that way ever since her chance encounter with Jayden. Rain sighed. She cannot believe how many sleep she'd lost over a guy she broke up with years ago. While Mart, the guy she broke up with two weeks ago, never even crossed her mind until now.

Rain threw the sheets aside and started prepping herself for today's activities. She crossed the floor of her room and went straight to the answering machine to call Jeric back. Jeric is her supervising producer. He is also the person who never fails to remind her of her schedule. He's irritating most of the times, but without the gay's anal attitude, she wouldn't have survived that long dealing with the craziness of showbiz. The gay is truly efficient.

After confirming to Jeric that yes, she's awake and that yes, she'd be at Studio 8 by 9, and that yes, she'll be in her best appearance and behavior, she went to take a bath and prepare herself for another very long day of work. Soon, her style team will arrive to make sure she will look like how a famous celebrity should look: glamoured, styled and... fake.

Two hours later, Jeric met her at the lobby of Studio 8's building. Studio 8 is one of the country's top networks and today is a big day for her as she will be signing a new contract under them.

"Oh look at you! I think Bam deserves a raise, don't you think? He really pushed himself to the limit with that fabulous get up he made you wear! I love it!"
Rain smiled at her jolly supervising producer.
"Bam knows his job."
"He does, doesn't he? Anyway, bebe, let's go now. The big bosses are waiting."
"How many people from the press are there?"
She tried not to show any sign of distress over the fact that she will be facing the press people today. But she failed. Jeric's face turned sympathetic.
"Don't worry, bebe. We gave them a warning that they cannot ask you personal questions. It will be all about your future projects with Studio 8. Relax. Everything will be alright."

She nodded. They all went inside the venue shortly afterwards. The familiar click of the cameras greeted Rain and she smiled to all the press people present. Her manager, Boss Vin, approached her. The big bosses of Studio 8 hot on his heels. Rain went through the same motions of contract signing. She's been doing this for many years, and yet, she feels pretty funny inside right now.

After the contract signing was done and congratulations have been given, it was time for the press people to ask questions. Rain felt like she was going to throw up. She instantly scolded herself. It's not as if she's an amateur to the ways of showbiz.
A columnist for a newspaper was the first one who asked her questions.

"Hello, Rain."
She smiled and nodded.
"So Rain, your contract with Studio 8 is effective for the next two years. My question is about your future projects with them. What are the projects we can look forward into for the next two years?"
"Well, there is ALTA, I'm remaining as one of the show's mainstays. Then there's a teleserye that the network is offering to me, though I'm not quite sure if the project will pursue, since you all know how apprehensive I can be doing soap operas as they are really time consuming."
"How about a film?"
"No film for me this year. I'd like to concentrate on my concert tour."
"So we won't see you that much on TV and Film?"
"Yes."
"Is this hiatus connected to your break up with Mart?"
Rain was taken aback by the question. She glanced at Jeric, who was scowling at the reporter. She sighed. She knew the bad feeling in the pit of her stomach was there for a reason.
"I'm sorry but I'd rather not answer your question. Thank you."
Jeric shouted next and the next reporter took the opportunity to ask her questions. The cycle went on. Reporters asked her some questions and joked with her. At the end of the conference, she was dog tired and emotionally drained. After the first reporter took the liberty to ask her a personal question, there were several reporters who followed who didn't shy away from asking her personal questions, too. All of them asked about her breakup with Mart. And all those times, she kept herself mum. She's just glad that nobody asked her about Jayden's reappearance. She didn't think she'd be able to handle that. Great thing, too, that they seem to know that she'd probably break down if she'd been asked about him.

After amiably saying goodbye to the press, Rain left the room and went straight to the building's top floor for her mini brunch party to celebrate inking contract anew with the network. Smells of brunch foods like bacon and wafers wafted through the air as she entered the room. Rain relaxed a little. If her day will continue to suck, she should let herself enjoy some delicious foods first. She's in the act of getting some bacons when her manager, Boss Vin, cornered her. She looked up, smiled, but furrowed her brow. He just talked to her a minute ago. Can't a girl be left alone so she could eat her bacons?
"Rain, I'm sorry for disturbing you but I think you have to see this."
He's pushing his phone to her nose. Her brows furrowed further. What's so important for her to see? Why does her manager acting weird? She took the phone from him and what she saw took her breath away. No. It can't be. This did not happen. But...

It happened.
On the phone is an image of Jayden and Mart... punching each other. Rain closed her eyes. They will never leave her alone now.

They never did leave you alone, the voice reminded her.
Just like you never left me alone? She wanted to ask that voice inside her head. She looked up at her manager, whose face is blatantly expressing concern. For her or for her career, she doesn't know.
"What should we do now?"
"Now... we take things one step at a time. This photo was uploaded a few minutes ago and already gathering so much fuss from the press and the netizens. We have to be prepared for the kind of attention you will surely get from this scandal. Being, you know, former girlfriend of both."
"What steps are we taking?"
"First step..." Boss Vin looked at her as if trying to weigh how she would react to the first step. It made her nervous.
"Our first step would be to cut your ties with both men. You can never be seen communicating with them in public. Or in private. None of those, Rain. I'm serious."
She nodded. "I can do that."
Boss Vin looked like he didn't believe her. But why? She hadn't been communicating with Mart even if he keeps on texting her, asking for a chance to talk. With Jayden... she doesn't even know how to contact the guy. They've been estranged for years now. No way for Boss Vin to be worried. Right?
She breathed deeply. "Alright. Let's do this one step at a time."
Boss Vin patted her on the shoulder.
"Don't worry, Rain. Everything will be alright. We will fix this."
She just smiled as an answer. Somehow, she didn't think things will be that easy.