Chapter 38: It's Us

Bailey's POV

"We need your help." I said to Merle.

Merle laughs.

Rick and I told Hershel and Daryl. Now we're telling Merle. Rick decided to give Michonne to The Governor. I don't like this at all and I know he doesn't either. This just isn't us. We don't do this.

But I told Rick that I'm with him no matter what and I meant it.

He wanted to talk to Merle alone but I of course went anyway.

"If we give Michonne to The Governor, Woodbury stands down." Rick explained to Merle. "It's what needs to be done."

"And we need it quiet." I added. "We need your help with that."

Merle looks at us.

"You told the group yet?" He asked.

"Just Hershel, Daryl, and you." Rick said.

"Wow." Merle sighs. "The inner circle. I'm honored, you guys."

He doesn't say anything else after that. He just sits there.

"So?" I asked. "What do you say, Merle?"

"You go on." He finally answered. "Give him that girl. He ain't gonna kill her, ya know? Just...do things to her. Probably take out one of her eyes. Maybe both of them."

I felt anger brewing inside me. It made me think about when he had Glenn and Maggie.

"You'd really let that happen...for a shot?" He asked looking at Rick.

Rick doesn't answer him.

"You're Cold as Ice, Officer Friendly."

(HE SAID THE THING!!!!)

"You're gonna need wire, not rope." Merle says. "Nothing she can chew through."

I looked at Rick I just know he doesn't want to do this.

"I know you guys." Merle says pulling me out of my thoughts. "Y'all ain't got the spines for it."

"We need to get her to The Governor by noon." Rick quickly says and then walks out.

"You know I'm right." Merle said to me. "You may be badass as hell...but you ain't gonna do it. Neither will your boyfriend. Any of y'all here. And even if you do, he'll still kill us all."

"That's why we wanted your help, asshole." I said. "Look, I don't like this. Rick doesn't either but he made the choice. We are doing this."

"Yeah." Merle said. "We'll see, Baby Girl Bailey."

"Go to hell." I said while walking out.

~~~

I was in the kitchen feeding Judith. She is getting so big. She gets bigger everyday.

"You're a natural at that." Carol said.

I chuckled.

Judith finished her bottle and fell asleep right away.

"I always wanted kids" I said. "Being a mother was something I always dreamed of. I didn't think it was possible until now. I know Carl and Judith aren't really my kids, but I love them so much. Rick even said he wants me as a mother figure to them."

Carol smiles at me.

"I would say that you would be amazing at it but I don't need to because you're already there." She says. "You are a mother, Bailey."

That made me tear up. It made me so happy to hear her say that. I hugged her.

"Thank you." I said. "And I'm sorry."