5: Bibia Be Ye Ye

Kirsten fumbled around in her backpack, looking for her keys. Her Gran was asleep already, completely unaware that Kirsten had snuck out in the middle of the night. Now shes wasted and high and can't find her damn keys.

Kirsten groaned and collapsed on the group. Giving up on her search, she dumped her bag out all over the front porch. No keys. She felt close to tears, all she wanted was to cuddle up in her bed and go to sleep.

She shuffled through everything and separated one item from the pile at a time, trying to be logical. She had to be skipping over them. Once she'd gone through the pile, one by one, she let out a scoff of frustration and fell onto her back.

She lay there for awhile, the cold air not letting her fall asleep outside. She sighed and put her legs in the air imagining she were walking among the stars. Her mind wandered for a little while before she shivered and her thoughts fell back to her missing keys.

Where could she have left the keys?

She tried to replay her night in her head, but some moments were a total blur. She remembered sneaking out, locking the door, and heading for the nearest bar. She remembered Barney, the barkeep, welcoming her and handing her the usual, a rum and coke. Thats how she always started off the night. It was casual and bubbly and easy to get down.

Where'd she put the keys after locking the door?

Kirsten rewound her memories, replaying herself locking the door over and over.

"If only it were so easy. If i could just imagine the key turning the other way-" she heard a click. She lifted her upper body and leaned on her elbow to glance at the door behind her.

She scowled,"did you say something?" She asked the door. She giggled at herself and clumsily got to her feet. She made her way to the door, tripping lightly on the wooden planks of the porch and catching herself on the door, but the door swung open.

Kirsten, wide eyed and gasping was hanging by the doorknob, her face an inch from the ground.

"No, way. No, no, no, no, no..."

Kirsten let herself fall on her face and then scrambled up once more. She stared around the house. It was her house. It was the entryway, as it always was. Every detail exactly as it should be.

"Its not real," Kirsten told herself. She felt sobered. She backed out of the doorway and reached for the doorknob, almost slamming the door shut before remembering Gran snoozing peacefully across the house.

Once the door was shut, she took a deep breath and turned the knob again. The door opened and the house looked as it always did again.

"No," Kirsten said more firmly and closed the door again," it was locked."

She stared at the door, then at her backpack and all the items on the ground. She bent down and grabbed her bag, checking all pockets and zippers but everything was undone and empty.

Suddenly, she remembered. At the bar. There were two men at the bar. Both tall, one was blonde with a pretty face, must've been at least ten years older than her. He was chatting up Lucy, who, if they lived in the 1800s, should've been wearing a scarlet letter A on her bosom.

The other was tall, a brunette, wearing a tired expression as he watched the first man. The taller of the two was younger looking and had taken immediate interest in Kirsten when she walked in.

Little did she know that this man had a supernatural connection to her, and he could feel it across the room.

Kirsten remembered talking to that man. He kept asking all kinds of questions about strange things. First it was normal talk about the weather, but then he asked if she'd experienced "cold spots" or smelled sulfur. She had been creeped out and tried to shoo him away politely, but when he said he only had one more question she relented.

"I know how strange I must sound, and I'm sorry, but one more question. Have you ever seen anyone with black eyes?" The man had asked. That caused her to pause.

She was nearly inebriated by that point and she silently studied his face. How could he know that? Did he see them too? Wasn't that only in her dreams? Wasn't it just another hallucination?

Or was he mocking her? She'd gotten angry after that thought and started yelling at him for making fun of her. He must've heard rumors around town. She knew that people talked about her family. It was only natural for them to not understand. Her family was cursed with schizophrenia, and Kirsten's mom hadn't even tried being discreet about it, so everyone knew.

The man backed down and bought her another drink. They stayed apart the rest of the night, but then the blonde came over. The two men talked and watched her as she downed drink after drink. She didn't remember much after that, but she did remember that he had tried hitting on her and brushed against her back.

Kirsten blinked down at her bag. Did he steal her keys? With eyes wide still, she looked around quickly. Nothing seemed very out of place, except the black Chevy Impala parked down the street. The same one she saw parked at the bar.

Her breath quickening, she wished harder that she had her key, because the door was locked. It was definitely locked, and it definitely did not open twice already. That wasn't real, because she did lock it before she left.

In desperation she shook her bag upside down and heard the metallic sound of a key hitting the wooden porch. Frozen in place she told herself over and over that she didn't hear a thing. It was impossible.

Throwing her bag to the side and crouching down, Kirsten stared at the key on the ground. Willing it to be real or willing for it to disappear again, she didn't know what to do.

She didn't know what she wanted more. To have the key so she could escape her potential stalkers, or to not have the key because there's no way that it wasn't some kind of hallucination.

Hearing the sound of a car door slam, she grabbed the key without another thought and locked the door before unlocking it and finally going inside and locking the door again. Because it was locked.

A/N: Sorry, for the late update! Its been a crazy week...

A/N: if you want updates on when ill be updating just follow me and youll see it in your notifications <3 sorry it's taking so long, been a bit stressed