6: Can't Stop Caring

"No." He glared at me.

"Why not?" I sighed looking at the map. "It's fail safe, they won't be able to do much."

"It's.. Cold." He finished lamely.

"You're a super soldier, Rogers. You don't feel cold."

"Yea but you do." He said, looking sheepish. His cheeks were a dull pink. Was Steve Rogers blushing?

I would have usually tried to take advantage of the blush but my heart just wasn't into it. In all honesty, the blush did more damage to me than it did to him.

"I'm Russian. The cold never bothered me anyway."

He smiled. Apparently, he did get the reference.

"I still don't know why you don't sing "do you wanna build a snowman?" Outside bucky's chamber." I grinned.

I had wanted to do that when they fished Steve out of the ocean but they unfreezed him pretty quickly. Also I was on a mission with an extremely volatile Tony Stark. Like even more than usual.

"He can't hear me." Steve sighed. "Believe me I've tried but if he could he'd come bursting out. Bucky hates frozen."

"So overrated." I agreed. "But if Elsa can handle the cold, so can I."

"You're not Elsa. You have red hair." He said. "Like the little mermaid. Arabel?" He asked, looking confused.

I rolled my eyes. It surprised me how a man who could remember army plans in a matter of seconds couldn't remember the name Ariel.
"Ariel. She's a mermaid, Captain so she doesn't feel cold either."

"Yea.." He looked thoughtful. Then his eyes lit up. "But she doesn't go to the North Pole, so nor will you."

He smirked his trademark smirk. His eyes teased me to come up with something better. But I couldn't.

Not with those soft eyes staring intently into mine making me want to curl up next to him and pour my heart out.

Maybe one day, if he'd let me. But not today.

"You can't stop me." I muttered.

"Well if you die..." He said as if he was giving me  an ultimatum.

"Cap if I die, Clint will kill you. As will Fury, I'm his best agent. After Maria Hill. " I smirked.

"That's why I want you to stay here." He smiled. "But I can't convince you so you can come with me. On one condition- you don't die."

I nearly laughed. "Why thank you, Captain Rogers. You are too considerate."

He laughed, a pleasant sound which made me feel warm inside. I could feel a tiny smile on my face. It had been years since I'd done something innocent, but Steve could somehow always turn me back into the six year old I was before the Red Room. The happy, careless six year old who believed in the beauty of the world. Who believed that nothing could hurt her hopeful heart.

Just then, the door opened.

"Dinner is ready." An olive skinned woman said. "And if Miss. Romanoff would change, we have a room and a set of clothes ready for her."

That's when I noticed the puddle I was sitting in. The duvet was dripping and the carpet was soggy. I looked at Steve, my eyes wide. I had ruined a royal carpet. He was laughing at my expression. My spandex clothes had dried but they still clung to me and my hair was still wet.