prologue

"this might help."

i don't think it will, taehyung-ah.
but thanks for trying to help.

"if our one and only sunshine is feeling down, you can just write whatever you're feeling on it!"

i was never your sunshine. i was never her sunshine.

"thanks, alien face~" i smile , lightly punching his skinny arm playfully.

"shut up, horse boy."

i don't know if i can keep up this fake facade any longer. i don't know when to express how i feel. the smile you see everyday, dear taehyung, is a pure illusion. ah, if only you knew.

||

"i'm home!"

finally. she said she'd be home by 8, and it's 9. was she with her friends again?

i walk downstairs to where she was, ruffling my hair in frustration. just how frequent does she need to meet her friends? does she have to wear the best clothing to meet them? are they even her friends? surely, she'll explain it to me once i ask her. yeah, i trust her. i love her, for christ's sake.

as i face her beautiful figure, i notice purple bruise-like marks on her neck. they weren't there before, right? what happened?

"did you miss me?" she asked, cutting off my train of thought. she made her way to the sofa, gently placing her bag down as her eyes light up, impatiently waiting for my answer.

i missed her. dearly. but does she feel the same way?

i nod, smiling gently as she giggled.

what's wrong with her?

she looks ruined; messed up. she looked completely different before she left.

her lipstick.

it's smudged.

those purple marks on her neck.

what happened?

why is she so happy?

"heeyoung, if you don't mind me asking.." i ask, resisting the urge to sound mad. "what are those marks on your neck?"

heeyoung's face immediately drops, her once calm eyes widened as she bit her lip. confused, i walked closer to her. she averts her eyes as she fiddled with her fingers. why is she acting like this? i cupped her face with my hand, making her face me. what happened, lee heeyoung?

"tell me." i demanded, my voice getting louder this time.

she turned away, almost smacking my hand as she muttered something inaudible.

"what was that?"

she looked at me, her lips slowly curving into a small forced smile.

"my friend's cat," she started, laughing nervously. "i-it jumped on me and i guess it left these marks, haha."

heeyoung, cats don't make marks like that. humans do. why can't you tell me the truth?

"are you sure?"

she nodded, covering her exposed neck with her hand as she swiftly pecked me on the cheek.

"i-i'm going to bed, babe. i love you, goodnight."

stop lying to me, 'babe'. you love me? do you really?

as she made her way upstairs, i noticed that she left her bag. she didn't take it up with her. being the curious prick i am, i decide to rummage through her bag. after all, there should be no secrets between us.

i quickly walked to her bag, picking it up as gently as i could considering it was one of her precious belongings. thoughts like her cheating on me and other actions like that filled my mind. i mean, it's possible. it's very likely, actually. unzipping her bag, i quickly look for her phone. the phone that she never showed me once throughout our relationship. i'll finally find out why she's acting like this. i'll finally find out who her so called "friend" really is.

i felt something smooth, small and box-like. it must be her phone. i took it out of her bag, quickly zipping it back up again, as i press the home button to turn it on.

- -

minsook 💗
tonight was great, heeyoung-ah. hope your worrisome boyfriend doesn't see those marks i left you xx

minsook 💗
leave him. for me x

minsook 💗
i love you :)

- -
clearly, i'm not the only one you love.

i guess now taehyung's book will come in handy.