Just the once

Anyone would find it strange to find someone in their bedroom after returning from the kitchen. In fact I should have probably be screaming by now and if it was anyone but Mike I would have been. For some reason Mike likes to climb through my window without an invite which has resulted in many embarrassing situations of me being partially undressed. As I walk in he just lays on my bed not even acknowledging my return continuing to switch through the channels of my TV.

   "Um you do realise that I was watching something" I announce startling him out of his monotonous actions. I quickly take the distraction to grab the remote away from him.

   He sighs and slouches further down onto my bed. "Robyn come and give uncle Michael a hug."

    "Ok first of all never ever refer to yourself as Uncle Michael that is just creepy" I shiver sitting down next to him. "And second of all why do you even deserve a hug?" I question. "Shouldn't you be out with Rochelle or something?" His expression suddenly changes from his usual cheerful self to a vacant stare. I guessed that Rochelle was the problem. I throw my arms around him.

   "She dumped me Robyn" he sighs.
   Why she would dump Mike was beyond me. He was sweet, funny, caring and if I was speaking from a third parties point of view I would say hot and he was the captain of the school's football team. Hell I would even date him if he wasn't like a brother to me. We had been best friends since he moved in next door when we were 3 and despite his popularity in high school and my unpopularity he still treated me like a sister. Well back to the problem of Rochelle she was a cheerleader so stereotypically they were a perfect match. I had met her only once but despite the rumours she was actually really nice.

   "Her loss dude" I say trying to comfort him the best I could.

    "I just don't know what happened. We were doing great and then BAM she dumps me out of the blue. I just wish I knew why."

    "Can't you just ask her or get someone to ask her?" I reply nonchalantly. He suddenly looks annoyed at my obvious stupidity before turning his annoyance out on the show I was watching.

   "Why are you watching cartoons anyway? I mean you're nearly 18" he stifles a laugh. At least provided him so much amusement. I roll my eyes.

    "It's not a cartoon, its anime from Japan" I reply as if he will know what I'm on about. He looks at me bewildered before turning back towards the tv.

We sit through an entire episode in silence before Mike suddenly speaks up, I'm half expecting some comedic retort about the episode. "So that girl dresses as a dude?" He asks and I nod.

   "Yeah to join the host club so she can pay her debt back" I reply.

    "And nobody even notices that she's a girl?" he half says to himself. "That's it!"

    I turn to look at him. "That's what?" I ask.

     "I've found someone I can trust to find out why Rochelle dumped me" he looks at me suspiciously and suddenly realisation hits me.

   "Me? But she knows that we're best friends, she'll suspect..." suddenly he cuts me off.

   "Not you as you" he mutters. I look at him confused as he points to my ouran high school host club DVD "you."

   "No way...No Way! This isn't an anime series, I'm not Amanda Bynes and this is not the film She's the man, this is real life! You're deluded"

   I turn to stand up before he pulls me back down. "Deluded? Or Genius? Come on You'll have to just fool her and her friends long enough to ask about her exes or more importantly me. Please you're one of the only people I can trust."

   "She'll know straight away, she's not stupid but you obviously are" I begin to stand up again.

   "You could totally look like a guy" he says.

   "Um thanks" I say sarcastically. "I really don't appreciate my best friend saying I look like a dude."

   "No, no you're totally cute as a girl" he suddenly says embarrassed. "I just mean style your hair and throw on some of that stage makeup stuff and you could be a very cute guy" he says as if what he said made me feel any better and I laugh at his stupidity.

   "She'll know it's me though" I add.

   "So what she met you like once? And besides you're not going to be you. And by the time we're finished..."

    My head was saying no but my heart looked at his puppy dog eyes he puts on when he wants something and I just have to ask. "Just the once?"

   "Just the once" he grins before jumping up and hugging me.