XVIII

EIGHT WEEKS LATER
-Maddie P.O.V-
It's been over three months since we moved to Devon, and the stalker is a thing of the past. I'd moved on, and done so happily. Michael and I were taking a trip to the beach together, because I hadn't gotten a chance to properly see the sunset yet.
I slipped on my black bikini, then wore a white cover-up over it. I made sure everything about me was date material, because (and it's probably obvious) it's taken a huge liking to Michael. Him, along with Holly, had both helped me out during the worse part of my life. I was happy here, with them. I pushed all my other feelings away, because I knew they didn't belong here.

"Maddie!" Holly called out to me from downstairs.
"I'm coming!" I shouted back, making my way down to her. However, I stopped halfway down the stairway when I go a glimpse of the doorway. Michael stood with nothing on but swimming trunks, revealing an extremely sexy body that neither me nor Holly knew he had.
"Holy shit!" Holly cried. "You got another thing coming Maddie."
"Oh god, I dressed bad didn't I? I'm sorry, I'll go change-"
"No, it's fine," I replied. He took a look at me, and his eyes instantly lit up.
"Wow," he muttered, smiling. "Wow."

We walked to the beach together, talking about the stupidest yet most interesting things.
"I hate capers. They're gross," I said,sticking my tongue out. "It's like you're eating salt."
"And when did you find out about your extreme hate for capers?" Michael asked.
"I was eating this sandwich I bought, and it was full of them! Uh, it was the worst moment in my life."
"Yes, I'm sure it was." We both started laughing, then I had a brilliant idea. I stopped, and stood behind Michael.
"Stay still," I ordered. He gave me a confused and worried glance.
"Why? What are you-"
I jumped onto his back and wrapped my legs around his waist, causing him to start falling forwards.
"Jesus fucking-"
"Piggy back ride!" I cried in the air, giggling.
"How old are you again?" He asked, frowning.
"Old enough," I replied, grinning. He carried me all the way down to the deserted beach, just as the sun started to set. The ocean tide crawled onto the sand slowly, before being dragged back out again.
"Okay, you're too fat to carry any longer," he said, lifting me back down.
"Oh my, what a gentleman," I said, glaring at him playfully.
"Holly told me you liked the ocean," he continued. "You came here on the first day."
"Yeah," I said back. "It calms me down."
There was a beat of silence, as we admired the crystal reflection on the setting sun.
"Hey, don't you like to dance?" He asked, smirking at me.
"Oh no, we're not going down that road," I replied. "Dancing never worked out for me."
"I don't care. Let me see you dance," he persisted, getting out his phone. He flicked through a few things, then peaceful music starting playing.
"Michael, I'm not dancing-" he grabbed my hands, and I tensed up. Our eyes met and gazed into each other's hypnotically. "I'll do it with you," he said. I nodded, not daring to take my eyes off of him. Then I stepped forward and back, around and to the side, and he followed my movements. He spun me round, then let go of one my hands and placed it on my hip. I breathed in, and placed my spare hand on his shoulder.
I danced, with him. And it was the most beautiful dancing I'd ever done. It made me realise that my inability to pick up dancing wasn't because I couldn't dance, it was just that I couldn't dance without him. After a while, I relaxed my head on his chest and our pace settled. I closed my eyes and let the sound of the sea calm me, as I felt his steady heartbeat against my ear.
"Thank you," I whispered.
"For what?" He muttered back, wrapping his arms around me.
"For everything."

I arrived home late with Michael closely behind.
"I'm going to go to bed," I muttered in his ear, trying to be quiet as I didn't want to wake up Holly. "You can stay here the night of you want. Do you want to sleep in my bed?"
His face quickly grew flustered, which made me giggle.
"Don't worry about it. It's not like we'll-"
My phone buzzed in my handbag. I rummaged through my bag until I found it, then read the message.
I had forgotten he existed. It wasn't a stalker- it was a whole world of misery, and fear. And with one text, he'd managed to pull me straight back into it.

Did you miss me, Robin? I've finally decided...we're going to have one big finale, together. Either you come to me, or I'LL COME TO YOU.
I warn you though, if I'm forced to come and collect you I may decided to bring your friends along with you.
EX16 8AE

"Maddie? Are you alright?" Michael asked, noticing my peculiar reaction to a simple text.
"I-It's back," I stuttered. "He's back."
It took Michael a moment to catch on, but when he did there was hell to pay. He took my phone of my phone and read the text.
"I'm going wake up Holly and we're getting the fuck out of here, understand? We moved you once- we can do it again."
"No, there's no point," I replied. My voice was flat, like the life has been sucked out of it. "I'm stuck in this endless loop...the only way to stop it is-"
"Don't you dare say that Maddie-"
"Wake up Michael! Just fucking wake up and realise!" I shouted, tears in my eyes. "Leave. Go start a family, live a real life. Don't waste yours trying to help me, because you just can't."
"You know the reason I haven't done that, Maddie? Is because you're the one I want to start a family with. You're the one I want to leave with. You're my real life."
I stared into his passionate baby blue eyes, and smiled through my tears.
At what point did I deserve him?"
I leaned in close to him and kissed him on the lips.
"I love you Michael," I said. "That's why I have to do this."
I slipped my hand in his pocket and grabbed his keys. Before he could do anything to stop me, I turned round and dashed for the front door. As soon as I was outside, I slammed it shut and locked it from the outside. Seconds after I could hear Michael banging on the wood from the other side, screaming my name. Holly was probably awake by now, and she would be joining him soon.
That's why I had to be quick. I unlocked Michael's car door using his car keys, and climbed inside. After starting the engine and taking a few deep breaths, I drove out of the front garden driveway. I also thanked Michael for those driving lesson he'd given me a couple of weeks back, after my leg was healed.

I was scared. Of course I was scared. I'd been scared of this man since the very beginning, and I was finally going to meet him. I wondered what he'd be like, or more accurately what face I'd be staring at while my dignity is ripped away from me.

The drive was what got me so worked up. It wasn't far, but I had enough time to imagine the feeling, the pain, and every scenario that could occur when I arrived at this destination.

And then, before I knew it, I was there. A large, almost threatening warehouse stood completely isolated in the middle of a golden field. I walked up to the doors, my legs shaking. Stuck to the door was a post-it note, saying: 'COME ON IN'
I carefully pushed open the doors, sending creaks which echoed through the rusted building. It was dark, and there was a long hallway in front of me. Trying to keep myself as calm as possible, I began making my way down. However, halfway down there was a cut off from the straight path. I stood there for moment, and debated whether or not I should go down there, until I heard something.
There was someone else here.
I mean, of course there's someone here, the fucking stalker asked me to come here. But this was another victim. I could tell because they were sounds of someone is pain. They were faint, and well hidden, but I could still hear them.

I ran down the cut off path, however after the sound of my footsteps created a rather loud echo, I switched back to walking. The noise of the other person died down after a short moment, making it hard to know if I was just imagining it. But, sooner or later, I made it.
There was a cell, built into the wall. The door was slightly open, and as I walked into the centre I noticed someone crouched in the corner. They had long hair and a frail body, showing severe signs of anorexia. They were only in black underwear, and were barely breathing.
"Hey!" I said, in a loud whisper. "Listen, this is your chance to get out of here."
She turned her head round to face me. I only then noticed the walls of the cell; the inscriptions. Scratched into the concrete in scruffy handwritten, was the same words written over and over and over.
'I'M SAVING THE ROBIN'
All this connected back to her, and her familiar appearance. She was bruised, cut and dirty, but that didn't change a thing about her features which were etched into the back of my mind.
"R-Riley?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.