Chapter 5 : Brewing a Storm

Once the team had gone back to Mr. Morganson's house they had to push past a small group of news reporters in order to get there. One of the reporters stopped them along the way.

      "Detective! What can you tell us about the crime scene?"

      Drake turned to the woman.

     "From what my team has gathered this looks like a simple robbery gone wrong."

     The woman was unsatisfied, and persisted with more questions.

     "Some of the neighbors say that they heard a storm inside the house, and many others believe it to be the 'North pines Wendigo'."

     This caught Drake's attention.

     "I'm sorry, but this is simply a robbery gone wrong. Nothing more, and nothing less."

     With that he led Alistair, and Dr. Andreas into the house. Dr. Andreas stopped him once they were out of earshot.

      "They named the killer already? Isn't that a bad thing!?"

     Drake pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to calm himself down.

     "Yes, it's a bad thing because once they name the killer it means that the public is already afraid of it, and the one thing we don't need at this point is for hundreds of people to start panicking."

      They passed over to the back yard where a large hole now replaced the area where there had previously been rose bushes. Mr. Morganson's body had been placed on a sheet of plastic a few feet away from the hole. Dr. Andreas rushed over, and began asking her rookie about the body creating frantic hand gestures along with every word. After a few minutes of examining the body for herself, Dr. Andreas beckoned for Drake, and Alistair.

      "Alright chicos. This is our suspect turned victim. He has the same MO as the other victims which means missing limbs, and organs. So basically he was attacked by the same killer, but the dirt is covering a lot of stuff so we'll have to take him back to the lab for a more thorough analysis."

     Alistair nodded along to what Dr. Andreas was saying.

     "So the only thing that makes this murder different is the fact that he was buried."

     Dr. Andreas smiled, and turned to Drake.

     "Aww. Your little rookie is growing up!"

     Drake rolled his eyes at Dr. Andreas, and pointed towards the body behind her.

      "So the fact that Mr. Morganson's body was actually concealed means that the kill was more personal like the killer probably knew Mr. Morganson beforehand. Which means that the blood we found upstairs is most likely his."

      Dr. Andreas clapped her hands sarcastically while she pouted sadly at the two detectives.

      "Wow, looks like I'm not needed anymore, but yes that looks to be about it. The blood could have come from the removal of the limbs, but I doubt that the organs were also removed there. Also there was no blood trail whatsoever. So either the killer took the time to clean his little mess, or he simply managed to contain the blood some other way."

      Drake nodded his head in acknowledgement, but was called over by one of the uniforms on crowd control.

     "Sir, I understand that you're busy, but you may want to see this." 

      Drake looked over at Alistair in exasperation.

      "When do you think I'll get a break?"