Prologue

The universe was vast with its countless stars, glowing moons, burning suns, and majestic planets. From his seat in the heavens which was his dominion, the great god Bahata thought it was all beautiful. However, he felt that something was missing. He felt that such beauty needed to be shared.

With a wave of his burly arm, he created his deities; a multitude of divine white winged beings that were pure of heart and strong willed. They crowded around the great god and joined him in admiring the universe.

Bahata was happy, but later on he noticed that his deities had grown restless and bored. He realized that it was a mistake on his part to have created such powerful beings without giving them more purpose.

He pulled one of the planets closer to him and there he created mankind. He gave each deity a specific aspect to be in charge of, but the goal was singular; to take care of mankind. The deities were ecstatic to have been given a purpose and went right to work with gusto.

The deity of crops and harvest created fertile lands and gave the people farming knowledge so that they may feed themselves. The deity of the forest paired with the deity of craftwork to create a means for people to house their families. The deity of hunting created wildlife and taught the people how to hunt while the fire deity gave them fire to cook with.

Each deity taught and guided the people in their field of expertise. Millennia passed while the people progressed into a booming economy and a large community spanning the whole planet. They had grown leaps and bounds from where they began. As a sign of gratitude, they made regular sacrifices and offered prayers to the deities and to Bahata. Eventually, mankind achieved its golden era. Mankind rejoiced, the deities were beaming with pride, and Bahata was content.

However, not everyone was happy. Balthus, Bahata's younger brother, was resentful that he had not been invited to play a role in this new creation. He demanded that he be given a part.

Bahata thought hard on what to do. He did not want to deny his brother, but he also knew that he had a tendency to be too troublesome. He feared that he might disrupt the utopia he and his deities had laboured to build.

He managed to trick his brother into being in charge of the underworld where he would only have power over the dead. This way, he thought, he could not cause much trouble.

Having realized his situation, Balthus became angry and began to plot his revenge. He knew that the deity of magic was planning to gift mankind with superb abilities. He found a way to whisper to the deity and to convince her that she should bestow magic on only a select few. He lied to her by saying that not all humans were strong enough to wield it as they were not of a divine nature.

The deity believed his malicious reasoning. She blessed magic on a portion of mankind while they were sleeping. When they awoke, they were surprised with their new abilities and immediately fell to their knees in thanks. The gifted wholeheartedly took on the roles of leaders and protectors of their realm while the others were filled with pride at having such capable brethren to care for them.

The deity beamed as Bahata commended her for her achievement. The magic she gave strengthened the people and gave them a new purpose. Meanwhile, Balthus grinned in triumph deep in the darkness of his kingdom. He would allow the humans and his brother to assume that all was well for centuries while he prepared himself. The first piece of his vengeance was now in place. Among his many traits, Balthus was a schemer and he was patient.

Balthus lay in wait for centuries while mankind grew into a robust empire. He waited until they had mastered their magic and have passed it on through generations in their bloodlines. He waited until those gifted had risen to a revered stature in society.