1

"The unknown enemy is always the most fearsome."

- George R.R Martin

{Editing Status: Unedited}

I don't know how I got here

I don't know how I got here. I don't remember anything. My memories, my past; a blur - a hazy, nebulous cloud. I don't even remember my own name. All I know is that I am lying on sand; I can feel it under my fingers, soft and thick. I stare up at the sun as it glares down at me. I don't sit up, as I am paralyzed with fear, my heart beat a rapid thudding against my ribs. My breathing is shallow and forced; the air is humid, so I am struggling to breathe. I lick my dry, cracked lips.

And I sit up.

The first thing I see is the ocean. It sparkles in the sun, casting diamonds of brilliance, blinding me. It is clear and blue and beautiful.

And I think:

Am I dead?

Maybe this is heaven.

Or, maybe this is hell, and I am about to be tortured any minute.

I stand up, my legs shaking slightly as I lift myself up from the sand. I walk, slowly, over to the water, and kneel down, reaching my trembling fingers to touch the water. It is warm, not cold, as I was expecting. I look out to the ocean, but there is nothing. Just the vast body of water; no islands, no ships. Nothing. It seemed to be infinite. The soft rushing of the water calms me slightly; there are no waves. It is flat and serene. I stand up and turn around.

And I almost fall back to the ground.

A forest is an understatement, to describe the immeasurable jungle in front of me. The sand carries on for some time and slowly turns into dark soil, which the prodigious trees grow out of. The jungle is dark and quiet. Eerily quiet, in fact. I squint, but I cannot see through the trees, as they are too dense, and the darkness expands through the jungle.

I look to my side, and the beach carries on; I cannot see the end of it.

How did I get here?

What is this place?

I lick my dry lips again, thoughts crossing back and forth in my head.

So many questions.

So little answers.

I feel disorientated, and the sun isn't helping my "don't faint" thoughts. The heat of it, the intensity of it, is making me slightly dizzy.

"Hey!" shouts a voice. A female voice. I spin around, trying to find where the voice is coming from. I can faintly see a person on the beach in the distance. As the girl comes closer, I can make out her features better. She is short, and skin as white as snow, with long, blonde hair that is tied into a high ponytail. My heart thuds against my chest at the sight of another living being; it radiates through my body, pounding against my rib cage, and a rapid thudding in my eardrums.