2

{Editing Status: Unedited}

I watch Saige as she paces across the sand, back and forth

I watch Saige as she paces across the sand, back and forth. My eyes follow her movements. Her head is down, and her lips move as she mutters silently to herself. There's a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Do I trust her? No? Yes?

"Don't you think we should be getting some sleep?" I ask, interrupting her silent muttering.

She lifts up her head and sighs. "There's no way I am closing my eyes on this island. Who knows what's on it?" she says.

"True, but if we're going to look around tomorrow we don't want to pass out from exhaustion."

"I'm not sleeping," she says, her tone final.

"Okay, well, if the plane landed here," I say, looking down at the sand. "Then the people on the plane can't have gone far. And where is the plane anyway, if there was a plane crash? Surely there would be, well, a destroyed plane?"

"No, duh," she sighs. "I don't know, don't ask me. I told you, all I remember is being on the plane with a bunch of teenagers around my age, boys, and girls. I don't remember how I got on the plane. I don't remember anything. There was a storm, a lot of screaming, and now I'm here."

"You don't remember crawling from the wreckage?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "I blacked out when the plane made impact with the ground, and when I woke up I was lying on the sand. No sign of the plane, and no sign of anyone else." She starts to pace again.

"Maybe the others went in there," I say, glancing at the jungle.

"Well, I ain't going in there. We'll walk around the island, but there's no way I'm going in there. We don't know what's on this island. There could be animals."

"Animals? Like?" I ask. "Squirrels and foxes?"

She glares at me. "No, stupid. Panthers, baboons, gorillas, leopards. Animals that live in jungles," she says.

I roll my eyes. "Sorry, Mrs. Know-It-All."

"Common sense," she says.

"Well, I'm going to get some rest and then I'm going to look for them at first light. In there," I say, looking at the jungle. Just looking at it makes me nervous, and makes me doubt my own idea.

Saige stops pacing across the sand and stops to look at the jungle. "I have a funny feeling about this."

"Saige, please," I sigh.

She hesitates before answering. "I...don't...fine. Fine. I'll come with you. But if something happens, I'm blaming you, okay?"

I shrug. "Fair enough."