5

{Editing Status: Unedited}

After a short, but much-needed nap, I open my eyes to be greeted by bright rays of sunlight

After a short, but much-needed nap, I open my eyes to be greeted by bright rays of sunlight. I look over at Ryan, who is awake. Lauren is now resting her head on his lap, instead of his chest.

"Hey," I say through a yawn.

He looks over at me and gives me a small smile. "Hey."

"I guess nothing ate us in the night, then," I say, standing up, and brushing the dirt off my pants.

He gives a snort. "Clearly." His voice is quiet, so he doesn't wake up Lauren. Her face is smooth and calm as she sleeps, all the pain wiped away. "So, what's the plan for today?" he asks. He watches me as I lift up my home-made spear.

"I think the first thing we should do is get some food. I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

As he smiles, I realize it compliments his handsome features, which are concealed by his usual poker face. He brushes his dirty fringe out of the way of his honey-colored eyes. Dirt smears his face in haphazard reddish-brown smudges. "I'm hungry too." He peers at my spear. "I think that'd be good to use for hunting."

"Yeah, I know. But we can't just eat lizards," I say, with a frown.

"What about coconuts?" he asks, pointing to a tree in front of him. It's a large tree, bountiful with coconuts.

I raise an eyebrow. "How did I not notice a coconut tree right in front of me?" I sigh and put my spear on the ground. I walk over to the tree and peer up at the coconuts, which are frustratingly high up. "How am I going to get them?" I ask, and turn my head to look back at Ryan.

"Try climbing," he suggests, with a slight grin.

I scowl. "Thanks for stating the obvious," I sigh. "But I don't think I can climb that high."

Lauren's soft breathing stutters slightly, and her eyes flicker open. Ryan smiles down at her. As I look at her leg, I realize it's moderately better. The greenish tint has subsided, but it is still swollen, and from the way her face contorts in pain as she sits up, it's still extremely painful. She looks at me, a frown on her beautiful face.

"What are you doing?" she asks me.

"Trying to decide whether I can climb this tree or not," I answer her, looking up at the coconuts in the branches above me.

"Why?"

"To get the coconuts."

She looks up, and she spots them. "Can you not climb?" she wonders.

I shrug. "I'm not sure. I'm...I'm scared I'll fall," I admit.

Then, I suddenly have an idea. A stupid, reckless idea, but an idea all the same. I run over to Saige, who is snoring by a tree, and shake her awake. She groans and pushes me away.