Chapter 11

People are actually reading this :,,,,)

ALSO THANKS FOR VOTING THE CHAPTERS! //screams 

Max's POV

I didn't really need Ross, did I? He was probably useless anyway. He would never do anything right, even when work was concerned. 

NO!

Continuing onward, I came across a narrow bend, leading up a deeply hedged pathway. Rain was gently flowing down my face from the trees, leaving a nice ambiance to commit my thinking time to. I observed my surroundings. Flowers dotted along a dusted, now muddy path, probably planted by the rangers as a sort of reward for those who dared to climb this way up. Bluebells, daffodils, and my personal favorite, poppies. Red like my hair. Ross thought it was funny that I'd pick a flower like that.

Ross...

The red shadow was following me too, nattering to me gently. I'd never met such a nice shadow. I never thought I would meet a shadow, actually. But he felt as if he could understand my every thought.

"It's really funny, how poppies are your favourite plant. Y'know, with the hair and all" The shadow struck up as we sauntered on. I laughed. He truly could read my thoughts.

"Yeah. Ross thought that too. You would've liked him"

The shadow looked at me, confused. He cocked his head to one side and paused to stare at me, obviously wanting an answer out of me.

"Oh, Ross? H-he's my-"

"Your...?"

I just fazed out. I couldn't. I just couldn't.

Who's Ross?

"Oh, nothing. Just keep walking"

The shadow nodded, walking on next to me. My bag was feeling rather full on my shoulders, but that came with the altitude. The clouds were just above us, and it was a lovely feeling to be so high up. The pinnacle was so close to us, and it was actually pretty exhausting to know that we'd climbed up so far.

We?

The shadow man ran up ahead of me, excited to see the top. I was too, and tried to catch him up. I shallowed my breaths, trying to keep up. He turned a sharp right, and sprinted out of sight.

"Wait, come back!" I panted. 

The shadow obeyed, pausing, then kneeling at the edge of the pathway he'd ran up. He'd led us up an outcropping of the mountain, laced with ferns. The shadow was laughing. He turned to me, lazily walking up to me and laying a hand on my shoulder. 

"Can you see him?"

"Who?"

"Look, up there!"

I turned my head upwards. The sky was blue-ish, not so dampened by the rainclouds anymore. Through the clouds that remained, a red streak of sunlight burst through. It lit up my eyes as it darted across the view of the other mountains nearby. It faded in and out as the clouds passed over it, flickering, even. 

"It's-"

"Amazing, right?"

"I've never seen a red sun before"

AH I TRIED I'M SORRY I'M HALF ASLEEP AND THIS IS THE FIRST THING THAT I COULD COME UP WITH.

Enjoy your day/lunch/afternoon/evening/night/any other discernible time!