Chapter 16

This is so close to 200 reads :,) Enjoy the chapter!

Max's POV

I looked at Ross, still confused at his explanation of his resurrection, or whatever. Looking down at his body, he was wearing bare boned rags, and his legs were all bruised from the fall. It didn't matter, though, because I'd kept his spare clothes in my bag, sort of like a twisted memorabilia of him. He seemed embarrassed, standing in clothes like that on top of the highest mountain for a couple hundred miles, so I picked up on his body language and paused for thought, before pulling my bag from my shoulders and fumbling around for the jumper of his, (Or sweater, whatever you Americans say) and handing it to him, along with some jeans. I didn't have any underwear of his, because I don't go carrying around underwear. Ever. Honestly.

Shut up, I'm not a pervert.

He thanked me, seemingly slightly scared at the fact that I was carrying around his clothes, and spied a nearby bush to get changed behind. I watched his frail legs slowly make their way to the shrub, a lot thinner than usual, but he'd assured me that this was because of the physical form being broken off him as he fell, and suddenly being shunted by the hand holding him back up. I was actually pretty curious as to whom the hand belonged to, but I couldn't be bothered to guess, so I sat myself down on a nearby rock, to have some manly contemplation about the whole situation that was going on right now. 

It was strange, in all honesty, but I let myself get lost in the surroundings circling around me. The rain was soft and gentle, falling from a dark grey sky, onto pine trees resting around surrounding mountains, laced with green patches of grass. I would expect a place like Washington to be so green, with all the rain and such. Fields as far as the eye could see, farmland most likely. The ground below me stared back up with a glassy river coming from the stream earlier flooding through the plains,  pristine. But before I could make another cryptic description of the area around me, warm hands wrapped around my waist, embracing me in a loving hug. 

Ross' POV

I gently put my arms around Max, who was lost in thought, as to not scare him, and nestled gently into his shoulder. He looked up at me, slightly teary, before scooting along and letting me sit next to him. There wasn't much room on the rock he was on, so I cuddled up to him, burrowing under his arm.  It was gorgeous scenery to have a near-death experience in, and one I won't complain about. 

"What was it like to almost die, Ross?"

I perked up my head from the daydreaming state I was in. I didn't really know how to answer, to be honest, so I just slowly placed my head back on his shoulder. He got the message, making an annoyed sigh, and pecking me on the head.

"Ok, better question. What was it like when you were in the red desert? You know, with the red sun and all. How did you even get there?"

He seemed to get more enthusiastic about his query with every word, so I had to answer, because he was too cute not to.

"Well, weird, to be honest. It was so tiring. I was in a state of dreaming, but not, if that makes any sense. Almost like a vision, but so much realer, because I managed to lure all of you guys into traps, and keep you there forever. I'm so happy I chose to save you all instead of myself..."

"Yeah, that's great and all, because yours truly is alive, but how'd you get there? " he asked, turning towards me.

"Oh, right. Well, I was going for a blood test or something like that, because I'd had an accident earlier that week. Car crash. Strangely, they never found the driver. Red car, ironically. They took my blood, and did the tests and everything, but I never got the results back. A couple days later, I woke up, and there was a strange glowing man standing at the end of my bed. I panicked, of course, then was speechless when he pulled out the blood from my test. I could tell, because they put it in a tube with my name on it. He drank it-"

"weirdo"

"-and for some reason I ended up there."

Max looked shocked at this.

"Yeah, so-"

"You're coming back, right?"

Mheh.