Chapter 27

Levi and Eren sat in their room, staring out at their garden.

"Levi," Eren said carefully. "Why didn't you consult me first before revealing my nature to the nobles?"

"I don't know." Levi said with a deep sigh. "I was planning on talking to you about it as our child's birth was closer. However, between my father dying and the coronation today, there was no time to properly discuss it. I could have waited, but your friend decided that then was apparently the best time to reveal it. And Mikasa chose then to reveal herself."

"What's going to happen to us?" Eren asked after a long pause.

"Well, first we deal with Kiku and the assassin. The assassin was doing what he was paid to do, and though that disgusts me, I do not find him at fault. I will probably have everything Kiku paid him confiscated and have him pay the palace once a month to keep him out of jail. If he can not meet these requirements, he'll be put in jail. If he has family, they may visit him at any time." Levi said. "Kiku, on the other hand." Levi's face soured considerably. "He will most likely- no, he WILL be executed for his crimes. Three accounts of treason are on his head, and he will lose it." Levi turned to Eren, gently caressing the Kitsune's ears. "He was after my little fox and our child. He will not be allowed to make the same mistake, and he will be used as an example."

"Should you really start your reign with someone's blood on your hands?" Eren asked, leaning into the touch.

"I have no choice. Treason is punishable by death. Yes, the assassin killed my father, that is a treasonous act, but if he wasn't hired, it wouldn't have happened. And my father was a casualty that the assassin did not intend. I can not find it in myself to kill a man that killed on accident because someone jumped in the way of his target." Eren's ears dropped a little as he nodded.

"I guess that makes sense." Eren said.

"Will you accompany me to question Kiku and the assassin?" Levi asked. Eren nodded again. "Thank you, little fox." And Levi gently kissed Eren's lips. A knock on their door barely had the two parting as Levi made a noise in his throat and the door opened.

"My Lord." Erwin said, sending a cold look to Eren, who glared right back, tails fanning out as well as two tails can. "I wish to speak with you in priv-"

"My husband can hear as well. He is to lead this land with me." Levi said.

"My Lord, with all due respect, a demon can hardly be-"

"Commander." Levi said, voice cold. "Speak now, or leave." Erwin sighed as he kneeled in front of Levi.

"The village is in an uproar about the nature of your... wedded." Erwin said as he glanced to Eren. "They want an explanation. And the nobles are about as unsettled. As are the other residents of the castle and the soldiers and hunters." Levi sighed as he rubbed his temples.

"Tell everyone I will deal with them AFTER I deal with Kiku." Levi ordered, but Erwin shook his head.

"My Lord, everyone views Kiku's actions as positive, and I can't say I don't relate to them." Erwin said. Eren stood then, tails lighting.

"His actions lead to the death of the emperor! Are they saying that he died for nothing since he died protecting a demon?" Eren barked. Erwin's hand moved to the hilt of his katana, ready to defend himself. "Why does everyone want to kill us? I understand oni, they're fucking stupid and thirst for bloodshed. But us Kitsune are nothing like that! We like playing tricks and hiding people's belongings. And may or may not be attracted to objects that reflect the sun's rays. And pissing people off in general. But we don't attack humans! We protect them, as Inari-kami wants us too!"

"You are still a demon, all demons are-"

"What about Mikasa?" Eren interrupted, making Erwin just sit their baffled for a moment. "What about her and her mother? Are you prepared to strike down the princess I assume you've known her entire life, because her mother was a demon? Was her mother dangerous?"

"Well no, but-"

"Something you humans never seem to consider." Armin said as he entered the room with Mikasa behind him. "Is that for a full Raven Tengu, being unable to fly and spread their wings kills them. If she was always in the presence of human's, Mikasa's mother would have never been able to fly, unless she left. But she grounded herself, knowing she would die, because she fell in love with a human." Armin said, tails fanned out and eyes narrowed slightly. "And Raven Tengu are more dangerous than Yako Kitsune."

"Yako?" Erwin asked.

"They're the ones that play the pranks that can actually hurt people, and can be malicious. Eren and I are from a leash of Zenko Kitsune, which are Inari-Kami's followers." Armin explained. "And Eren has made himself Levi's guardian, so he will protect the palaces, and lands, inhabitants with his life. In the case of the late emperor." Armin continued, cutting off Erwin and explaining to the commander the exact reason Eren couldn't protect Levi's and Mikasa's father.

"So he is still pregnant?" Erwin asked, looking at Eren's stomach, which had the male quickly covering it with his tails, tips still burning bright.

"Yes I'm still pregnant!" Eren barked again. Mikasa stood next to him and patted his shoulder.

"Calm down Eren. Sit down, breath a little. It's been a long, stressful month for you. Come, let the fools talk and you and I will walk around your garden. The sakura blossoms are in bloom, and I would love to see how the gardners prepared it for you." And so the two left as Levi and Armin continued to explain the situation to Erwin.