Chapter 5: To Mr. McCrae

I ran.

            I ran as fast I could, out of the house and into the backyard. I didn’t even look back to see if anybody noticed my absence. But I didn’t care, as long I got away from the house, I was safe. I was safe from hell that took my mother’s life. I ran for what seemed like twenty minutes before I fell on a rock, which must had been the same rock Bennett fell on earlier. I finally looked behind me to see Bennett running towards me. I couldn’t stand it any longer. I burst into tears, and by the time Bennett reached me, I was on the ground balling, and making a puddle of tears on the grass.

“Shh… It’s me.” Bennett told me in a whisper, and he helped me to my feet. “I’m sorry about what happened. I know how you feel.”

“No you don’t! You don’t know how it feels to see your own mother die right in front of you!” I screamed at him, and the words came out of my mouth before I had time to think about what I said. I instantly knew that that wasn’t the right thing to say.

His expression changed from being soft and understanding to mad and furious. “I do know how this feels! You better not tell me that I don’t because I do!” he said, and he raised his voice so he was practically screaming at me.

“I’m sorry, Bennett,” I replied and I bowed my head down so I was looking at our feet.

“Me too,” he said and he put both of his hands under my chin and lifted my head up so I was looking straight at him. He slowly leaned his face towards mine and put his lips against mine. This kiss made me feel so much better, as he crept his hands along my neck and behind my head. I felt comfort, as I put my hands on his bare chest, feeling the warmth of his skin. That was a kiss that I could remember, not just a quick peck.

My parents told me that Bennett and I used to kiss when we were little, but this one was much better. I was surprised by the gentleness of the kiss, how he carefully rubbed his lips against mine. And I must say, he was a good kisser. I guess we both pulled away from the kiss at the same time. My tears were all gone by then, and I felt loads better. After that, I felt different about Bennett. I always thought of him as a brother. But after the kiss, I felt a little more.

“You okay?” he asked me, even though he knew the answer.

“No…” I said stubbornly, making him give a little laugh.

“This is not something to laugh about Bennett.” I said sternly. “You should know that.”

“I’m sorry. I just don’t know how to help you.” he continued. “After mom died, you always found a way to get my hopes up, and even if I didn’t show it, I felt it. Now, because of what happened to your mom, I’m scared that I won’t get to comfort you like you did with me, and that you will stay grumpy and miserable for the rest of your life.”

“But I won’t, Bennett. You were miserable because you had your dad to take care of.” I thought about this for a moment, realizing that my father had a chance of becoming just like Mr. McCrae and at once, my eyes started to tear up. I suddenly collapsed onto the soft grass of the meadow. “I can’t go back Bennett. At least not tonight.” I said to him through the sniffles.

“I know, I know. But you can’t leave you’re family alone. There just as sad as you are! Let’s just stay here until tonight and then we’ll go back. We can cuddle together and watch the stars,” When he said cuddle, I felt my cheeks flush. “And we’ll get our food by eating grass.”

            This made me giggle at the thought of us two when we were little, eating grass. We always used to pretend we lived in the olden days, so we would dress all “oldy” and eat grass and flowers. It wasn’t actually bad to tell the truth. “I’m tired.” I said suddenly realizing that my eyelids were gradually falling down. Bennett lifted me up, and walked. And walked, and walked for a very long time. I was surprised that he could carry me for that long, but I guess working out in the fields paid off. Once he slowly placed me on the ground, I noticed where we were. We had gone a very long way from my house, to an oak tree which was around 60 feet tall. It was in the middle of a deserted grass meadow, and it could be seen from miles away.