Chapter 17: The Wedding

The wedding was scheduled on May 12, 1946 in our church, at precisely at 2:00 p.m. It was going to be a small wedding, perhaps only thirty people or so, but that didn’t matter to us. All that mattered is that we would be spending the rest of our lives together.

            After I said yes, and Bennett placed the ring on my left hand, we kissed once more, both of us completely in the moment.

            He took my hand, and led me back to the house, where I excitedly showed my family. I would have thought that my father would have been worried because Bennett and I were only seventeen, but he looked as happy as ever.

            “I’m so proud of you.” He said when he was giving me a hug. “When’s the date?”

            Both Bennett and I hadn’t really thought of when the wedding was to be. “

            “We don’t know yet. But we want to be eighteen, fully of age.” Bennett said, taking the words straight from my mouth.

            “Then why don’t you two lovebirds enjoy some peace and quiet to yourselves.” My father said, as he dismissed himself from the kitchen.

            After many ‘congratulations’ from my family, we headed back outside to have some relaxation, just like my father had suggested. But we already had our time together.

            We didn’t have much to say.

            But we read. We read “The Hobbit” together, with Bennett’s voice ringing throughout the field. He would play a low, and old voice when Gandalf talked, or a squeaky noise when Bilbo Baggins spoke. It changed the tone of the story, making it more interesting. We kept reading until dawn came, and we could see no more of the pages.

            “You’re a very good reader, Mr. McCrae.”

            “You’re a very good listener, Mrs. McCrae.” He replied, smirking.

            I gasped.

            I had forgotten that my name did change to McCrae.

            “That name suits me well.” I announced.

            “It sure does.” He said, and we walked.

            We walked away from the houses though, and to an old tree fort. Bennett told me that we came here after my mother had died.

            We snuggled on the floor of the tree fort, his arms wrapped around my body to keep me warm while we watched the stars twinkle in the distance.

            “You’re very beautiful.” He told me, his voice whispering in my ear.

            I blushed and felt my cheeks turn bright pink.

            “Why thank you.”

            Before I could add anything else, Bennett spoke.

            “You’ll look amazing at the wedding.”

            I smiled to myself, realizing that I was going to be married in a couple of months.

               It was finally the wedding day.

            That morning, I got an omelet with cheese, onions, peppers and ham; a treat. I was in my room, while Fern was putting makeup on me, when my father entered the room.