Chapter 16: Experiences

Bennett and I’s relationship grew stronger as we spent more time together. We spent almost every day together, either talking, or playing around. It was a few months later that Bennett came up to me, asking if I could follow him. I was slightly reluctant because Bennett was doing very strange things lately.

“You’ll like it. I promise.”  He took my hand, his fingers entwining around mine, and led me outside to the barn.

It was my first time being in the barn since I lost most of my memory. I was too scared to go in there, afraid that I be frustrated with myself for not remembering anything.

“Do I have a horse?” I asked, trying to lighten my mood.

“Yes. Her name is Penny. Isn’t she beautiful?”

I looked to see where he was pointing, to see the most gorgeous horse. Her body was a brilliant chestnut color, accentuating her dark, chocolaty eyes.

I recognized her immediately.

“I remember!” I announced.

“You do?” he asked, excitedly.

“I remember, I remember!” I screamed as I danced around in circles.

It was the first thing that I had remembered, other than a few family members.

“And you have Teddy?” I asked, a little uncertain.

“Yes!” he exclaimed as he gave me a hug.

He let go, even though I didn’t want him to. I just wanted to stay in his arms forever.

I climbed onto the back of Penny after putting on the saddle. Bennett did the same, and we began to ride.

“Let’s go!” Bennett yelled, and raced across the flat, grassy field.

I followed and soon felt the rush of joy. Slowly, I lifted my hands up, and spread them apart, feeling the wind gliding past my face. My hair flew with the wind, and I felt freer than I had ever felt.

We finally stopped in the middle of the woods. I took a look around and finally found what we have come for.

There was an abandoned building, covered in moss, and plants, that ran through every crack in the wall.

“What the…?” I asked, completely surprised.

“We used to come here sometimes. It’s an old abandoned church. See look.” He said, pointing to the top of the church. “There’s the cross.”

We walked towards the church, every step cracking the broken tree branches below.

The church was old, and rusty with old decaying wood, and fungus, growing around every corner in the old building.

“C’mon. Let’s go.” He said and I followed him to the main doorway of the church. His muscles flexed as he pulled on the door.

It was stuck.

Finally, he managed to open the door with only a few feet left to crawl in. Inside, there were two small church benches in which the wood was splintered.

We sat down on the old benches, just sitting there; listening to the birds chirp outside and watching the centipedes slither across the floor.

“Why did you bring me here?” I asked.

“To talk.”

“About what?”

“Our future.” He said, plainly.

“Oh, I know. You want a fairly large family, and you also want to live in the suburbs of a big city, away from this country life.”

He looked at me, confused as ever.