Chapter 6: Hunters

Dante, the son of Sparda who has a twin brother, was not a morning person. A definite never and never would be. Although his minds was filled with all the information he gained yesterday from (Y/n)'s grandmother, his head screams for a sleep. Clicking his tongue in annoyance, he jumped out of the couch and walked towards his desk, grabbing the picture that was given yesterday. He observed it, slowly scanning the female's characteristic. She's not that bad, he thought. Chuckling to himself, he set down the picture and cleanse himself, ready to start his mission.

***

"I don't like this scene," you said. Vergil didn't say anything. He followed the trail of blood that was on the ground covered with leaves. Red blood spatters on the tree branches and boulders. Some were even dripping down the leaves. The smells hit you as a wave of nausea took over. Holding your nose in between your fingers, you muttered, "This is not good. I know..."

As the male in front of you stopped, he glanced up. You quickly catch up to him and when you tilt your head up, you gasped hard.

"Looks like we aren't the only ones the joker got us into..." Vergil spoke.

How you wish you hadn't seen what was in front of you; two bodies, male and female. Hung and tortured, their clothes were ripped and their eyes were scooped out and bloods dripping down from their bodies. Turning away from the dead bodies, you knelt down while your hands were covering your hands and mouth. Holding the urge to vomit, you coughed and feel your body starting to shiver. Your eyes begins to water and you find it hard to breath. "Wh-what h-happened? Wh-who are t-they...?"

Vergil looked at you over his shoulders and stayed silent for a few seconds, "Victims... They passed the first level of his game but unfortunately, they failed the second..."

Gathering the courage to look back at the bodies, you took a deep breath and stood, slowly turning around to observe your surroundings. When you saw the bodies again, they somehow looked familiar. Slowly walking forward, you walked pass Vergil who is currently observing you. His eyes averted from you to the bodies above. You saw the golden bracelet on the female's body and a silver necklace on the male's. You knew the objects. You have seen it somewhere before.

Recalling back your memories from where you work, a man with a short brown hair and dark hazel eyes were laughing with a woman with long blond hair and blue eyes. You knew who they were. "Annie?" You whispered. "James?" Looking down at the grounds, you furrowed your eyebrows deep and wondered to yourself. Why? What happened to them? Were they taken away too? But when? You knew those two worked in the same building as you but they were from a different section. Did anyone ever notice their disappearance? Before questioning yourself further, you felt a hand grabbing your shoulder and you yelped.

"Are you done?" Vergil muttered.

As you were about to answer him, an arrow darted towards your way and landed in front of you. The two of you quickly faced to where the arrow had come from. This time, another arrow came from another direction. Quickly gearing up your minds, you picked up a piece of wood as a shield. Upon lifting it, an arrow hit it. If you hadn't picked up the piece of wood, it would've shot through your heart. "Vergil!" You yelled.

He took the moment to observe his surroundings. Turning to his side, a man in a dark hood suddenly jumped out from behind one of the bushes. Vergil draws out his sword and so does the attacker. The two swords collided. You yelped when another figure jumped out, wearing a dark blue cape with a hood. You stepped to the side and hit the person with the wood that was in your hand, causing the person to fall. In a swift motion, Vergil swings Yamato, pushing the other sword away and placing the tip of the sword towards the attacker's neck. You, on the other hand, stepped on the other person's arm -which was holding a knife- preventing them from attacking you.