SO DID I.

au where bucky never got taken in tfa and steve comes in the captain america get up and bucky is confused af

I had just about finished yet another speech for yet another show with yet another section of the military. I basically ran on auto pilot doing this now and all I heard myself say was "So, who's ready to help me sock old Adolf?" and smiled like usual except this was all but usual.

  I didn't get a response from the men which wasn't that weird, the weird part was the scream I heard from the mid-section of the crowd. "Wait a damn second."

  My eyebrows furrowed and my head cocked to the side slightly like it dod whenever I was confused and another shout came from the same person. "Steven Grant Rogers is that you?!" he heard from the voice again.

  "Is that..." Steve's voice trailed off as he studied the voice and looked for the person. Shit it is. "Steven! Don't ignore me when I talk to you! Why are you here? WHY ARE YOU BIG?" Bucky said pushing his way forward. Steve just gaped at him, shocked. "STEVIE DON'T MAKE ME ASK AGAIN-" Bucky started stepping up onto the stage. "WHY. ARE. YOU. BIG." He said, punctuating his words with his steps. He was now in Steve's face. "That's your Steve, James? I thought he was smaller." Some guy from the side said that Steve didn't know the name of.

"SO DID I. So did fucking I! I thought you said I took all the stupid! God, I leave you for a little while and the next time I see you you're a six foot somethin' showgirl!" Bucky never took his eyes off Steve, his face showing confusion and anger and fear all at once. Steve rubbed the back of his neck, looking away from Bucky.

  "I may have gotten a serum-"

  "A what?!"

  "From a German scientist."

  "FROM A WHAT?"

  "He got shot-"

  "ARE YOU OKAY?!"

  "And I may have chased the shooter-"

  "Holy shit, STEVIE."

  "And ripped the door off a car-"

  "How the hell."

  "And had a girl save me from being shot."

  "You almost got shot?!"

  "Are then the guy killed himself."

  "I don't give a damn about some guy, are you okay?"

  "Oh yeah, I heal really quick now?"

  "You what?"

  "I even ran over a mile."

  "Your asthma, Steve."

  "It's gone."

  Bucky didn't have a response to that one. He stood at a loss for words before asking quick fire questions again.

  "Did you know it would be gone?"

  "No."

  "Are you okay?"

  "Yup."

  "What's with the outfit."

  "Later."

  "Who was the girl so I could thank her?"

  "Pe- Miss Carter."

  "Was the German man nice?"

  "Yes."

  "Were you accepted before or after the serum?"

  "Before."

  "Did it hurt?"

  "A little."

  "Is it permanent?"

  "So far."

  Bucky stopped there and pursed his lips looking him Steve up and down. His eyes started watering. "You're a punk." Bucky said before holding his arm out knowing a bro-hug was the best they could do for now. "Jerk." Steve responded taking his hand and pulling Bucky into him patting his back quickly before pulling away.

  "Buchanan." Someone called and he looked over, seeing everyone watching them intently. "May have to update your picture." He said laughing a bit before everyone was because it seems everyone in this group knew something Steve didn't. "Picture? Why'd'ya got a picture of me?" Steve asked. Bucky turned to the man and glared at him before turning to Steve. "Nothing."

  Little did he know it was definitely something because in Bucky's gun where there was a clear space people usually put a picture of their gal back home, Bucky had a picture of a small and happy Steve.