Chapter Nine

A knock sounded. Begrudgingly I opened my eyes. "Hey," my mom softly said. Her eyes were puffy and red. "You gave us quite a scare," she said forcing a laugh/ Feebly I gave her a smile. It hurt me to see her in pain. All this just because I was clumsy. Seems unfair. To have the police call and say your daughter is in the O.R. Seems unbearable.

"Kim will be here soon. This has been hard on her-on all of us. I'm so glad you're okay." She stepped forward. Extending her hand, she gently brushed back my hair. "I'm okay, mom." She nodded hearing me, but not quite. "Someone else is here." There was a glint in her eyes. "Oh," I prodded. "Mhm," she nodded. There was another knock, but my eyes were fixated on her. She glanced away. "I'll leave you two alone."

"Hey, Abi." That wasn't Kimberly. I groaned. I knew exactly who it was, Joey. My soon to be boyfriend. He didn't know that. I needed to be normal. And he, well he's the only way. I'll just pretend to like him, maybe I'll grow to. He walked towards me. Gently grasping my hand, he sat on my bedside. His eyes were slightly red. 

"Are you okay," he choked out. Gripping his hand, I nodded. He lowered his head. A single fell on my hand. With the other I lifted his head. "I'm okay." Slowly, he nodded. Putting on a false smile, he squeezed my hand. Carefully I sat up. There was a subtle pain, but it wasn't hard to ignore. 

"Woah, you should be taking it easy," he chided. "Nonsense," I said firmly. His eyes landed on my lips. Gently I bit it. Time to put on a show. Slowly he leaned in. Pausing a few centimeters away. Wanting to get it over with, I closed the distance. Our lips crash. Slowly, almost in unison, we parted them.Our tongues collided. My eyes scrunched together. Playing my part, I backed away when acceptable. I felt nothing. But the way he brought his fingers to his lips said otherwise.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off. "Sorry to break up the party." I smiled at the sight of my best friend. "Hey," I greeted. Something was different. I didn't feel so clung to her. Maybe it helped to know how she felt. That it wouldn't progress. She was right it had been a dream, a fantasy. There's another girl out there for me. Smiling, I waved her in.

"Hey," Joey lamely said. Rolling her eyes, she did a small wave. "So, what happened?"

I took in a breath. "I was in my room. And I fell, hard. There was so much pain, my head was cut. Blood started flowing. Desperately I went to the stairs. On my way down, I fell. My head repeatedly banged against the staircase. I dragged my way to the door, then sprinted. Which was more of a fast paced, clumsy walk. I fell once more, and passed out. Next thing I know I was here."

"Oh," Kim trailed off. "What?" "I was-" A doctor cut off. "Visiting hours are over." With a sigh, they left.