10 years later

10 years later...

Serena sat on the bough of a tree, swinging her legs and singing whilst she sharpened her knife. The tree was the same tree she had hidden in all those years ago. She had made her home there, so that Gia could find her when she came back.
Gia was coming back. It was going to happen. Serena didn't know when, but one day, Gia was going to come back. Serena was sure.
Suddenly, Serena heard cries and shouts from nearby, accompanied by howling.
No, no, never again.
She couldn't let anyone be taken again. Especially not her neighbours.
Without thinking twice, she grabbed her knife and raced to the source of the sound.
There she saw a faun in a red scarf struggling to fend off the secret police with an umbrella.
Immediately she jumped into the fray, hacking and slicing with her blade. She swung at one of the larger wolves, sinking her dagger into its side.
The wolf whimpered and fell back, to be replaced by more wolves.
Serena lost sight of the faun as the mass of wolves beared down on her, closing in.
She felt jaws clamp down on her arm, cutting through flesh and muscle. Her knife disappeared to god knows where.
Suddenly, she felt more jaws around her throat, crushing her windpipe.
Black spots danced on the edge of her vision, and then...
Darkness.