Chapter 1

It's been exactly 4 years and a week since she went. Dad had told me then, me and Leslie, that she was on a vacation, that she was in a better place, but I didn't believe him then, nor did I now.
I was thirteen then. Exactly thirteen actually. It was my birthday and I was supposed to be having the time of my life. But I had this tingling sensation that something bad would happen. It always happens. I'm not the kind of person who believes in jinxes and all, but I have not had a single birthday without something going wrong. They were never so bad until my thirteenth birthday, where everything was such a blur. One minute I was laughing with my friends, and next thing I knew my dad gets a call and then we're suddenly at her funeral, wishing her good luck for her journey, as dad had told us to.
Leslie was only 10 then so she believed what dad had told her,but I knew. I didn't care about the how and the why, all that mattered to me was that my mom was dead. I no longer had a mom.
I caught a few words when dad would talk to other people about her. Murder. Suicide. Missing weapon. But I was too busy crying. I was depressed throughout that year and nothing made me want to avenge her. I didn't care about any of the clues that I heard or saw, until now.
I, Iris Hastings, have taken it upon myself to avenge my mom, Arlene Hastings, and bring her killer to justice.
Oops, too dramatic! Hehe
Well anyway...