Chapter 15

Master didn't find the time to work out as much as he liked to, so when he did, he worked out hard. In the basement of his house were two rooms—one, a vast wine cellar and two, his own personal gym. In times of stress he found comfort in at least one of them. Tonight, with the help of his trainer—and the closest thing he had to a friend—he opted for the gym.

Master didn't need help to stay in shape. He had enough equipment to rival any gym in town and enough energy and motivation to use it well. Lately, though, before Eden, even, he'd needed more from his workout. He left the running machine unsatisfied and the bench sore, but his mind was relentless. He wanted to burn off energy that couldn't be topped up by a sports drink—energy that seemed to manifest in his mind rather than his body.

Ian was a two times UFC champion and was worth every penny. They met when Cal sponsored his last fight, and they kept in touch. More so when he walked into Duel one night, unknowing whose name (metaphorically) hung above the door. Master felt the need to keep him around. There were few men who understood Master's initial need for the place, as well as the desire to keep said need quiet. Ian was one of them.

Two times a week they found time to train, and each time they practiced a different martial art. Tonight, Master needed an aggressive sport, a fast-paced, hard-hitting game. Kick-boxing.

"What's got you all fired up?" Ian asked through his mouth guard, shaking off the second heavy-handed hook to his head. The head guards were thick, but they weren't impenetrable.

Master didn't apologize. He was too caught on whether to open up or not. He couldn't to his father because his father had too much of a hold on him, and too much of Master's actions were consequences of his father's mistakes. But Ian wasn't invested and Ian wasn't a gossip. He could be trusted.

"A girl."

Ian stopped, his guard dropping. "You're kidding?"

"Do I look like I'm in the mood to kid?" Master lifted his leg to kick but Ian bounced effortlessly to the side.

"Hey, give me a moment here," he laughed, spitting out his mouth guard in anticipation of a sincere conversation. "I've been close-lined by that little gem. Elaborate?"

Master bounced on his toes, too fired up to stop. "What do you want me to say?"

"Tell me about her."

"She's...interesting."

"You've never been 'interested' before. Is she a friend? A lover? A play thing?"

"She was a sub." Master, too, removed his guard. "She is a sub. But the lines began to blur somewhere. She takes a lot of keeping in check."

Ian smirked. "You allowed her to step out of the lines?"

Master straightened, defensive. "I didn't have a choice."

"Well, that's a first."

"Don't worry, it's a last." He raised his hands, his mouth guard poised. He'd wanted this conversation, to air and voice, but now Ian was making him question himself, and that wasn't comfortable for Master.

"Oh?"

"She's been lying to me."

"About?"

"Her name, for one."

"Have you told her yours?"

"The only one that matters." Master jumped lightly on the spot, wanting to continue their spar. "But that's beside the point."

Ian was still to Master's bouncing, his hands finding his hips as he talked through heavy breath. "Sounds like that's exactly the point. Why should she tell you hers if you haven't told her yours? If sex is the only thing you two have then what does it matter if she's playing a part? I'm sure you are, too. And those parts don't require one hundred percent honesty to be acted out." He shrugged. "I don't see the problem."