Chapter 8: Finders Keepers

"But what would Gideon want with the journal?" Mabel asked anxiously as she paced the attic. The theory had to be true, yet Mabel didn't want to admit it to herself. Gideon was close enough to be her boyfriend now. She just couldn't see it in him to steal from her.

"I mean, of course he's not what you'd call "normal", but he's not like some evil super-villain!"

"I don't know, Mabel." Dipper mumbled, running his fingers through his curly brown hair. "anything's possible."

"...maybe he picked it up by accident." Mabel finally concluded, trying her best to stay on the positive side of things.

"that has to be it."

                       .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

The next day, Mabel pounded on Gideon's front door until it finally opened. A bulky man towered over her with a sneer on his face.

"What?" He said through gritted teeth.

Mabel gulped, "Um..sorry to bother you, but is Gideon home?"

"No," the man growled.

"...do you know where he is?"

"No, and I don't care. Now beat it!" He shouted, slamming the door with such force that the welcome sign hanging from the door clattered to the ground.

Mabel sighed in defeat and turned to leave. When she had made it halfway down the sidewalk, a voice shouted "Wait!"

Mabel turned to see a woman with frizzy gray hair wearing a black and white maid's outfit sweeping the porch with an old broom. She glanced back and forth between Mabel and the door, looking very afraid.

She gestured for Mabel to come. When Mabel arrived in front of her, she leaned in closely and whispered, "I know where Gideon is."

"Really?"

"Yes, he's at the old warehouse on Gopher Road."

"Thank you so much!" Mabel exclaimed happily, shaking her hand before she turned on her heel and quickly ran down the steps to leave.

"Please be careful!" The woman called desperately after Mabel as she ran down the street, though she was too busy running to hear the warning.

                            .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

"...Hello?" Mabel called out into the empty room. Her voice echoed across the walls, there was no reply.

"Gideon? Are you in here?"

She timidly stepped inside when a wave chilling air swept over her, causing the familiar feeling of goosebumps to prickle across her skin. She felt the same uneasy feeling from her first night in the Tent of Telepathy.

Mabel shivered wrapped her arms around herself for warmth before calling out Gideon's name one last time. Once again, there was no answer.

Mabel finally gave up and turned to leave. When she tried to open the door, it wouldn't budge, it was locked.

Mabel suddenly became aware of her heavy breathing as she turned back to face the room. It felt like the room had stretched to twice its size, making her feel incredibly small. She noticed a dimmed light out of the corner of her eye