Chapter 9: Not What It Seems

TIME: 15:13:08
                         DATE: 7/13/12

                           .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

"Fishing?" Dipper asked as Mabel got ready that morning. It had been a week or two since the accident back at the warehouse and Stan had suggested that Mabel could do with a little fresh air for the weekend while he worked on a new attraction for the Shack.

Soos had happily volunteered to take Mabel fishing for the day in his brand new boat. The plan was to be on the lake all day.

Mabel was excited about the fishing trip of course, Dipper on the other hand was suspicious.

"Why would Stan just randomly want us to spend quality time with Soos?" he questioned, hanging upside down from the bed in deep thought.

"It makes no sense!"

"You're overthinking things, bro bro." Mabel said "for once just relax and have fun!"

Mabel wasn't just referring to the fishing trip. Ever since the warehouse incident, Dipper had been obsessing over the mystery of Gideon's death. Dipper had been pouring over the journal even as Stan announced the trip.

"Okay, Mabel." Dipper had said a week ago with his hands folded behind his back as he paced the attic.

"Ever since that night I can't get that voice out of my head. I've been doing research on Gideon's amulet, but so far there's nothing!"

Mabel shrugged "I dunno, maybe it's just a dead end. Sometimes things are meant to be left alone."

Although Mabel's advice was strangely wise for once, Dipper didn't want to let go of the mystery. It was too intriguing for him to simply let go.

And now it was a week after that conversation and Dipper still couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Ah, yes. Summer break. A time for leisure, recreation, and takin' er' easy..." Dipper said in a sarcastic tone "...unless you're us."

Mabel said nothing, she only rolled her eyes in response to her brother's paranoia.

"Don't you see what I'm trying to say, Mabel?" he continued, "today's giving me a weird feeling, and if you haven't noticed- Gravity Falls isn't normal! Something's going on right under our noses...I can feel it."

. . . . . . . .

TIME: 8:02:03

. . . . . . . .

"Do you actually know how to fish?" Mabel asked as Soos read through a book titled "Fishing for Dummies"

"That would be a no," Soos said with a shrug, tossing the book out of the way.

"But we can still try!"

Dipper lounged on the side of the boat, letting his mind wonder. He was practically invisible under the harsh light of the sun.