Chapter 21: The End Times

Dipper struggled to wake up.

He felt as if he was reliving the car wreck all over again. He could detect Mabel's worried voice every now and then. Dipper wanted to wake up, but he couldn't. He couldn't force his muscles to move.

Dipper! Mabel's voice echoed faintly in Dipper's ears. His eyes fluttered open, his vision was fuzzy but he could somewhat see his sister's face.

"Are you okay?"

Dipper began to sit up but groaned in pain. His limbs were sore and his left eye was bruised and swollen.

His vision finally cleared.

Mabel's face was bruised, scratched up and she had a deep cut above her left temple under her eye. Her hair was a mess and her clothes were slightly tattered.

Dipper looked around.

They were crouched under what was left of the Mystery Shack. Half of the walls were missing from the explosion and the air was thick with dust and bits of debris.

Looking up Dipper could see the sky, which was an unnatural shade of red. Strange creatures swooped overhead like vultures- after taking a closer look Dipper saw they were giant eyeballs with the wings of bats.

"What are those things?!" Dipper gasped.

Mabel shook her head as she stared up at the creatures, "I'm not sure, all what I know is that-"

There was an ear-splitting screech that tore through the air, and an eyeball-bat swooped in the opposite direction, this time carrying a frozen victim.

Mabel gulped before finishing her sentence, "They turn people into stone."

Dipper tucked his legs under his chin and curled into a ball.

"Where's Grunkle Stan and Ford?" His voice sounded small and weak from exhaustion.

Mabel looked down.

"They were taken."

Dipper bit his lip and buried his head into his arms, "this is all my fault."

Mabel hugged her brother tightly, "How can any of this be your fault?"

Before Dipper could begin to explain an eyeball appeared in front of them. The two screamed and ran as fast as they could away from the Shack and into the woods.

Dipper leaned against a tree to catch his breath, he turned to Mabel "We've gotta find some shelter," he gasped.

Mabel peered around before pointing towards a clearing.

"I think the mall is this way," she said.

Dipper lifted an eyebrow questioningly,
"Are you sure?"

"Well it looks like we don't have any better options," Mabel replied, gesturing towards the eyeballs.

"Okay, let's get out of here." Dipper mumbled, following his sister through the woods.