Chapter 15: Behind the Vending Machine

"-and Tyrone? Where did you get that name from?" Mabel continued to pester her brother even as they walked up the attic stairs to go to bed.

Dipper was sick of it, though he had lost his urge to snap back at Mabel's jokes hours ago.

"I dunno, I thought it was kinda cool" replied Dipper in a bored tone. In the back of his mind he was secretly planning on a way of getting into Ford's lab.

He waited until after all the lights in the shack were turned off and he could her Mabel's soft snorting from the other side of the room.

Dipper took the flashlight from his nightstand and tip-toed out of the room and down the stair case.

It was time for an adventure in the dark.

                       .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

The vending machine was locked when Dipper tried to open it.

Of course, he thought.

Why didn't I think of that?

He looked closely at the keypad then decided to crack open the journal. Next to an entry about codes was a piece of paper with some sort of code written on it.

Up until now he didn't recognize it, but looking back and forth from the page to the vending machine, he recognized the pattern to be the keypad on the vending machine.

Dipper typed in the code written in the journal;
A, 1, B, C, and 3.

The vending machine swung open to reveal the dimly lit passage. Waking down the musty hallway felt like deja vu and the cold feeling sent chills up his spine.

When Dipper finally reached the last stairs that entered the lab, he slowed his pace. He was about to finally talk to the author of the journals, just him and Ford.

He took a small step into the dark lab and found Ford asleep with his head in his arms by his desk. He must've fallen asleep working on something.

Dipper felt stupid for thinking that Ford might be awake, but then again...maybe this was more convenient...

With Ford asleep there was no one to stop Dipper from looking at anything in the lab he wanted.

But where to start? There were so many things in the room- papers flooding out of desk drawers, mysterious gadgets just laying around, and more.

Dipper looked around the room until he found himself standing right in front of the door that led to the portal. Although he already knew the story behind it, he still opened the door to look. But he found that the portal was gone, almost as if it had disappeared.

"You shouldn't be down here."

Dipper jumped when he heard Ford's voice and immediately began to apologize.

"I'm so sorry Great Uncle Ford! I didn't mean to- it's just that I've been looking for you all summer, and now you're here, and I need answers!"

Ford held up a six-fingered hand dismissively, "It's fine, really. I understand that you want answers, you were dead just a few days ago." He pointed out.