Chapter IV

"Looks like you are almost clear to go, Carter. The doctor just needs to finish a couple of forms and you're home free!" Marnie chuckled, looking at her patient form. Carter nodded and Marnie put the clipboard on the edge of the bed and sat next to her.

"It's been a long few days...How are you feeling? Overwhelmed I'm sure..."

Carter took a deep breath in and sighed. She looked at Marnie and bit her lip.

"I am trying so hard to remember but I just can't... I just get heaps of headaches whenever I try..." She muttered, rubbing her arm. Marnie put a comforting hand on her now heal shoulder and squeezed it affectionately.

"I think the key is no to try so hard. Let things come back to you slowly. And if you ever want to talk, come see me, or call, alright?" Marnie offered. Carter nodded again and hugged the girl. The contact felt nice for Carter who had been feeling so alone without her memories. She had just felt awkward touching her parents, and Marnie had been so nice and understanding the last few days while Carter had been confined to the hospital bed. Marnie wrapped her arms around Carter for a few moments, before letting her go and standing up.

"Now hang tight, I need to go get your personal items and prepare your release forms for the doctor."

Carter sat alone in the hospital room for half an hour. All she had to do was listen to the sounds of the hospital and sort through smells on the air. She heard the clicks and beeps of various machines, and the echo of shoes on marble that must have lined the corridors. She couldn't really hear many people apart from a conversation between a doctor and a woman that might have been in the next room. She could smell much more than she could hear. All around her were threads of scents. She could now pick out her mother's perfume and her father's cologne, as well as Marnie's sweet perfume and the sharp smells of bleach and antiseptic. She also picked up another perfume, one she couldn't link to a person. It didn't smell great, and whoever wore it apparently wore too much, as it still lingered on the air that came under the door from the hallway. She couldn't smell very many werewolves, apart from the doctor. The heavy smell of chemicals choked out and concealed the rest of them. But, even if she couldn't smell them, she could sense them. It made her worried, and she couldn't tell why. She didn't linger on it long before she heard three pairs of feet walking back to her room.

Carter had familiarised the sound of her mother's heels after she had come back and forward so many times, and she could always place her father, whose heavy footfalls were never far behind her mother's. Carter had pretended to be asleep the past couple of times she heard her mother coming. She just couldn't bear to see the look in her eyes that appeared every time she couldn't remember something or the awkward feeling of not knowing them. This time however, Carter stayed as she was. She wanted to get out of the room and out of the hospital and get away from the bleach and the stale, sanitised hospital air.

The doctor opened the door and Carter's mother wriggled past him and came into the room, holding a bundle of clothes. Carter looked over at her dad, who remained in the doorway, holding another bag. After laying Carter's clothes out neatly on the bed, Carter's mom kissed her forehead and them ushered the men out of the room so she could get changed. Carter was relieved to finally be out of the hospital gown and into a fresh pair of jeans and a top. The clothes were new from what Carter could tell, smelling of cotton, denim and laundry detergent. They were comfortable and a great fit, and Carter never wanted to wear a hospital gown ever again. She walked over and opened the door so the adults could come in again. Her father handed her the bag and told her that this is what she had on her when she had been admitted. She opened the small plastic bag and took out her phone and watch, as well as a bracelet inscribed with 'C & D' and a lip balm.