VIII

Ponyboy's Point of View

"Wake up love birds!" I open my eyes slowly to see Sodapop, Darry and Two Bit looking down at me grinning, Johnny was asleep beside me his head huddled into my chest.

"Shh! Guys he looks awful let him sleep." I say angrily.

"So what's up with this huh? You two boyfriends now?" Two Bit laughed, I felt my cheeks redden in embarrassment.

"Um, yeah actually." I mumble sloping looking down at Johnny, I pulled him closer and sat up. He stirred a little but didn't wake up.

"Awe that's adorable, alright kid well your brother's are giving me the stink eye." he let a muffled laugh and left out the door.

Sodapop and Darry looked over at me, both looks of calm on their face which made me a bit less nervous. I've already told them I like boys and girls, I mean I don't know what that makes me but they accepted me. I just don't know what they'll say 'bout me and Johnny.

"You know he told us that he had a crush on you." Darry said plainly, smiling.

"Wh-when?" I tried not to stutter but it happened anyway, Soda came closer to sit beside me and I backed away, afraid he might hurt me.

"Hey don't be scared, we ain't mad Pony." Soda said grinning and putting a hand on my shoulder, I relaxed a little.

"So, you guys are okay with me and Johnny dating and stuff?" I asked.

Darry just laughed. "Of course it is Ponyboy, to be completely honest the whole gang has been waiting for y'all to get together a while now. We see the way you look at each other." I smiled and looked down at Johnny who was still asleep on my chest, he looked so adorable. I leaned over and kissed his forehead lovingly.

"Aww." Soda and Darry said a bit sarcastically, I shot them a look.

"Oh shut up he's adorable." I said defensively.

Sodapop laughed, "Alright we'll leave you alone with your boyfriend." he started towards the door.

"No funny business you hear?" Darry said sternly.

I laughed, "I know Darry, bye guys."

"Bye!" with that they closed the door.

it was quiet for a minute, simply my heart monitor and Johnny's soft breathes where audible. I decided to just close my eyes and take a rest, I was feeling tired again and with my concussion I got tired easily.

Before settling completely, Johnny started to whine and shift in his sleep. I knew exactly what that meant.

"Johnny? Johnny baby wake up." I started shaking his but his whimpers became louder. All of a sudden he shot straight up looking as white as paper. Then he started crying silently, covering his face in his arms. Johnny never cried, not unless he was badly hurt. I quickly threw my arms around him and pulled him close to me.

"Shh, It's okay Johnny it's me, I've got you. You're safe baby." he stopped crying and hugged me back, slowing his breathing.

"I'm so sorry Ponyboy. I'm so sorry," he whispered and pulled away, looking down at his hands.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked.

"I got you into this mess, if it weren't for me you'd be completely fine. But now you're sick in a hospital." he turned to look at me, I could tell his eyes were focused on the bandage along my head.

"Johnny stop that, none of this was your fault okay? Bad things just keep happening to us and I know it sucks but it isn't because of you." he didn't say anything, just kept staring down at his hands.

I put my hands on his cheeks and turn led his head to face mine.

"Johnny have I ever told you how absolutely handsome you are?" I said grinning.

"N-no" he stammered, blushing.

"Well you are. I love how your eyes kinda glow, and you've got such a movie star face. Hell you're more attractive than Sodapop." I said, and I wasn't lying. I went on as he smiled.

"And you're just so sweet Johnny, you've been through so much crap but man, you're still one heck of a guy. You're the bravest and most amazing person I know. I love you Johnnycake, I really do." I smiled gently and more tears came into his eyes.

"I- I love you so much Ponyboy. I love you so so much." he wiped off his tears an swung his arms around my neck. I returned his hug and squeezed him tightly around his waist.

I was smiling like an idiot. I've never been so happy in my whole life.